First Big Load o' Ribs

Started by ad18, March 30, 2008, 06:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ad18

I'm new to this forum, although I have been using my Bradley for a couple of years now with very good success.  I'm in a bit of a self imposed bind right now.  I usually do 2 racks of ribs in my smoker at 220-230 degrees for my family.  I usually smoke for about 2-3 hours, turn off smoke and change water bowl, and continue cooking for another 1-2 hours.  Found that 4-5 hours total was just about right.  Never open the door other than the water change.  I then pull them out of the smoker, tent on a platter with foil for about 20 minutes to let them "rest", carve, and enjoy.  I have never done the FTC method or used foil pans, etc.  I've got a bunch of friends coming this weekend demanding ribs and I'm happily going to oblige.  I'm planning on doing 6-8 racks of ribs and was expecting to increase my cook times to 6-8 hours due to the extra meat.  I'm hesitant to try the FTC/foil tray methods without experimenting on myself first.  Does the extra racks of ribs and extra time sound about right or do ribs not increase the cook time that much.  I got snookered on turkey breasts a while back and had to bail out to higher temps with foil in oven to meet the dinner bell that time.  Lesson learned.  Sound like this is a great forum and hope I can contribute some time.  Thnx in advance.     

Mr Walleye

Hi ad18 and welcome to the forum.

Everybody seems to have a different idea of perfect ribs. Myself, I like them to be fairly tender and come clean off the bone. I usually do wrap in foil or use a tin foil roaster with a shot of apple juice. I usually sauce them on the grill after. With 6 or 8 racks it will take a while to get up to temp. I would allow around 9 hours. If you run short on time you can do what I did below or if you have extra time you can always foil with a shot of AJ and keep them warm in the oven.

I was in a hurry a couple of weeks ago with 6 racks. I smoked for 2 hours and 40 minutes, then put them in a foil roaster with a shot of apple juice & covered with foil, through them in the oven at 300 degrees for 2 hours, sauced them on the grill and they were great.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Hi ad18;
Welcome to the forum.

I don't smoke ribs that often, but several members have smoke larger loads in their smoker. I tried to find a few threads, but wasn't able to. I'm sure when they see this, they will be replying to your post.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

aha638

I always do 6 racks (baby backs) and they will take 6 to 8 hours plus FTC time.

Al

icerat4

Quote from: aha638 on March 31, 2008, 08:24:58 AM
I always do 6 racks (baby backs) and they will take 6 to 8 hours plus FTC time.

Al

+1

Just another weekend with the smoker...

iceman

8 to 12 racks of baby backs have been running around 7 / 8 hours at 215 degrees F for me.
I sauce them lightly and give them a quick finish on the grill when everyone is ready for chow and serve sauce on the side.

ad18

So here goes.  Preheat the smoker and put the ribs in about 10:00 and smoke for the 6-8 hours.  Take them out, wrap each one in foil, a couple of towls, and place in a cooler.  Take out an hour later and have at them.  Thnx gang ;D

ad18

Yes, I usually mix up a sauce or two and put them on the barbeque quick to set or glaze the sauce.  Thnx.

ad18

Another question.  About half way through cooking time to you switch the positions of the top and bottom and the middle two racks.  Or is the heat in a Bradley evenly distributed?  Thnx......no more sub questiions.

kiyotei

heat is not evenly distributed in a Bradley smoker.

Mr Walleye

Yup... With a big load like that you definitely want to rotate racks a couple of times.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Consiglieri

I've done large loads of ribs a few times.  Plan on way more time than you'll need.  For nine racks, my last effort took in excess of 10 hours, but the meat was probably way cold before entering the box.  My thoughts:

1.  Make sure the meat is allowed to come up to room temperature.
2.  With that much meat "cooling" the box, I would compensate the box temp by setting it higher (use your maverick probe to sample temps at various levels and adjust the heat)
3.  Definately rotate the racks, top to bottom, and back to front.  Gizmo will pull the ribs out of the smoker when he is done applying smoke and finish them off in the oven.  Hopefully he will chime in on his technique
5.  Start way earlier than you figure you'll need.  If you finish early, FTC... and have a cold one or two for me. 

Good luck!
Consiglieri

SKSmoker

I did a load of ribs in my 6 rack DBS. It took over 12 hours and they were thick and meaty. I had to rotate every hour on the hour and even then some of the ribs did not get done in time that were up near the top. I have no idea how you guys cook things when setting the bradley at 220 or 230 as nothing has ever cooked in any reasonable time when I do that. I always pre-heat my bds at 320 for at least 2 hours with a pan full of hot tap water. That way, when the meat goes in the box, it will drop to 220 quickly, trust me, it won't struggle for hours trying to get back up to temp.Set it at 250 and let it go. Watch the lower rack to make sure it doesn't get burnt, because if you put in that much meat still cold, the element won't turn off long enough to not scorch the bottom rack of ribs.

Follow Consiglieri's advice. Allow _much_ more time than you think, and it will be just enough. I have had to get pizza or take out of some sort because I thought everything would be done at a certain time. The saying "it's done when its' done" is so true. Every piece of meat is different.
Lead by example

Ontrack

I do 3 big racks of babyback ribs on my 4 rack DBS at least once every 3 weeks-they're tied for first place with brisket for my favorite smoke. I've been fortunate to only miss smoking only 1 weekend this winter, and that wasn't on account of weather. I smoke them for 2:40 with either apple or hickory at 200-210, and even with outdoor temps in the teens, it has never taken more than 6 hours to get them they way we love them. I spritz with apple juice every hour after the smoke is done. Sometimes I will FTC for an hour or so, other times I'll eat them right out of the smoker. Can't tell much difference, if any. This upcoming weekend (if it ever gets here) is rib time, supposed to be in the 60s or 70s, so hopefully 5 hours or so will do it. :)