Chocolate Pie

Started by BBNRules, January 30, 2014, 02:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBNRules

TedEBear, I don't know how you would make it with milk chocolate.  Milk chocolate has sugar in it already.  It would take trial and error in order to get the right balance in order to make it work.  My prediction is it will be too sweet and not as good as the unsweetened chocolate.  As far as adding peanut butter goes, you know when someone says something you don't want to hear and you cover your ears and go LA LA LA LA LA LA, well, I'm doing that now.  LOL  I could see making a peanut butter drizzle, or caramel for that matter, and putting some on top.  I wouldn't bake peanut butter in with the chocolate mixture.  I'm glad you guys liked it.  If you ever need a carrot cake recipe that is dynamite let me know.  I have 4 desserts that are my go-to's that I would put up there with anybody's:  Chocolate Pie, Chocolate chip cookies (they take 3 days to make), coconut cake, and a carrot cake. 

RedJada

Quote from: BBNRules on February 04, 2014, 03:55:38 AM
TedEBear, I don't know how you would make it with milk chocolate.  Milk chocolate has sugar in it already.  It would take trial and error in order to get the right balance in order to make it work.  My prediction is it will be too sweet and not as good as the unsweetened chocolate.  As far as adding peanut butter goes, you know when someone says something you don't want to hear and you cover your ears and go LA LA LA LA LA LA, well, I'm doing that now.  LOL  I could see making a peanut butter drizzle, or caramel for that matter, and putting some on top.  I wouldn't bake peanut butter in with the chocolate mixture.  I'm glad you guys liked it.  If you ever need a carrot cake recipe that is dynamite let me know.  I have 4 desserts that are my go-to's that I would put up there with anybody's:  Chocolate Pie, Chocolate chip cookies (they take 3 days to make), coconut cake, and a carrot cake.

LOL, One thing you will learn here is that things get tweaked in some way, most of the time. ;D My two go to deserts are cheese cake and carrot cake. Since you didn't mention cheese cake, lets make some carrot cake.  ;D ;D ;D

TedEbear

Quote from: BBNRules on February 04, 2014, 03:55:38 AM
TedEBear, I don't know how you would make it with milk chocolate.  Milk chocolate has sugar in it already.  It would take trial and error in order to get the right balance in order to make it work.  My prediction is it will be too sweet and not as good as the unsweetened chocolate.

If we make our next pies with milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate I'll probably reduce the 4 cups of sugar in the recipe to 3 cups and adjust accordingly after I see how it turns out.  There is just one piece left of the two pies we made so I might be experimenting with the recipe variation this weekend.

I know people don't tend to like it when the original recipe for something gets tweaked.  My wife said before I went to the store and bought the ingredients for our first pies to not get dark chocolate.  It didn't say it was dark chocolate on the package but she liked it enough anyway to have eaten about 1/2 of what we made. I guess I wouldn't be earning any bonus points if I told you that she likes Cool Whip topping on it more than whipped cream.   ;D

BBNRules

TedeBear, it's all good man.  I don't mind when people tweak anything I put out there.  There is no criticism on what people like or don't like.  The chocolate isn't dark per se (it's not 60% cocoa I don't think).  It's more about appearance than cocoa percentage.  Unsweetened is just that...no sugar added. It's too bitter to eat with any enjoyment...in fact, it's very bitter. Bittersweet is more like a Special Dark chocolate...it's not as sweet as milk chocolate, but it's still enjoyable.  I would probably leave out all the sugar if you're using milk chocolate, it's already in there.  Now you could do the math and use 4 oz of baker's chocolate and 2 cups of sugar 4 eggs etc and add the same volume of milk chocolate and you'd be in business.  Once you measure them both together, you'll know how much milk choc to add if you go 100%.  Regarding the Cool Whip issue, I just don't have words for that..........................  :)

RedJada

Making this today for Christmas eve. So good just I thought I would bump it for the new people...

tailfeathers

Bookmarked as well. And BBN, if you are of a mind, coconut cake is SHMBO's favorite so if you ever have a notion to post another of your "go-to" recipes please make it that one!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

WoodlawnSmoker

Oooh, first time seeing for me, looks good.  Think I'll try this on New Years day.

RedJada

Got two in my fridge right now. Just waiting to dig in.....

dave01

LindaKaufman

I always use my grandmother's recipe for making chocolate cake, I use this recipe https://club.cooking/recipe/chocolate-meringue-pie/. It always reminds me of my childhood