Scallops and Chorizo

Started by manxman, March 31, 2008, 07:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Just got hold of 17 dozen king scallops and a similar number of queen (bay) scallops so have been trying a few different recipes.

Favourite to date amongst friends.

1. Finely slice around 5oz of you favourite chorizo sausage.
2. "Dry" fry in a thick bottomed frying pan on medium heat for a couple of minutes until a bit crispy, oil soon starts to come out of the chorizo to provide some cooking oil.
3. Remove chorizo into a separate dish but keep the oil that has leeched out of the chorizo in the frying pan.
4. Add around 1lb of scallops, either whole small queen / bay scallops or large king scallops cut into two.
5. Mix thoroughly with oil from chorizo sausage and cook for a couple of minutes, taking care not to overcook.
6. Add chorizo back into pan together with juice from half a lemon, let bubble for a short while whilst mixing thoroughly.
7. Put into serving dish and add salt and pepper to taste together with good helping of freshly chopped parsley.
8. Enjoy with an appropriate beverage!!  ;) :D
Manxman

3rensho

Man o man Manx, you're one lucky dude to have that many scallops.  Recipe sounds great.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

Sounds good! I've got some bay scallops in the freezer, been lookin' for a new recipie - I think I just found it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

Lucky guy Manx. The recipe sounds great. I'll have to keep an eye out for the right kind of chorizo.

La Quinta

WOW Manx...I gotta try that...love scallops...love chorizo (only ever put them together in paella before). Sounds (and I bet tastes) killer together!! Thanks!! :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on March 31, 2008, 09:32:05 AM
Lucky guy Manx. The recipe sounds great. I'll have to keep an eye out for the right kind of chorizo.
The recipe does look good. As Iceman asked what type of chorizo; other then regional style was it dry cured, fresh, or smoked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Quoteother then regional style was it dry cured, fresh, or smoked.

Hi Habs,

I tasted a couple of chorizo sausage before deciding on the one to use as some are awful, the one I used was "Argal Chorizo Pamplona Extra", a dry cured spicy unsmoked Spanish chorizo fine cut sausage. Argal is one of Spains largest charcuterie companies and this is a particularly nice chorizo.

Having said that I have seen another version from another Spanish company using smoked paprika that I may well use next time!!  ;)

It is such a quick and easy dish to knock up, I was preparing it for around 12 adults as part of a buffet and tripled the quantities mentioned above. In the blink of an eye they had all gone!!  ;) :D

They go particularly well with Spanish Cava sparkling white wine which was drunk in copious quantities.  :-[

I have yet to have any success smoking scallops themselves, to date they have been overcooked and have the consistency of erasures!! Other than cold smoking I do have a plan for hot smoking scallops and mussels at some stage when I have a bit of free time!
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Thanks. This recipe is making me hungry. I will have to add a few things to my next shopping list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Mrs. FLBentRider has it on the stove as I type this.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Yum...I was gonna make and serve over pasta? Make a nice butter and wine sauce (along with the drippings from the chorizo and scallops). What did you guys do? Manx did as a starter? What did you do FLBent?

manxman

Nice pic FLBentRider, looks the business!  ;) :D

QuoteManx did as a starter?

I just did it as one of several buffet dishes, served it on it's own with some French bread to mop up the juices.  :)

Manxman

FLBentRider

We served it straight up with peas and mashed potatoes on the side. We made 3 lbs of bay scallops. For a family of six there was less than 1 serving left. If the Mrs and I weren't doing the low carb thing we would probably serve it over bowtie pasta. I could not really taste the lemon, we are going to add more next time. Kids already asked when are we having it again.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

WOW...kids and chorizo and scallops? You're a lucky couple to have kids who like those flaves! :) Nice to hear that these days!!! :)

Consiglieri

Definitely changed my mind about what we're having for dinner.  Good job guys.
Consiglieri