1st Shot at Pulled pork (PICS)

Started by lcaron, March 31, 2008, 04:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lcaron

So far I have only accomplished Jerky and some smoked salmon. I have just bought a 7.5lb Pork Butt and plan to give it a shot this weekend. I was hoping you guys have some recommendations for me.

Thanks

La Quinta

Wait a bit for replies!!! West Coast Kansan and Gizmo are good with butts (just my personal experience!!!):) Welcome! My last one I did...I smoked for 4 hours then crock potted the sucker for another 12 hours in Iceman sauce...it was killer!

iceman

Slather with cheap yellow mustard, shake on the seasoning, toss in 200 degree smoker and apply smoke for about 4 hours or less. Continue heat in tower for about 2 hours per pound (adding the original 4 hours). The roast will stall at about 160/165 for a couple of hours then start to heat back up. Pull around 185/190 and cover up with the FTC for a bit. Shred away and enjoy. Sorry I don't have time to go into detail right now.

Mr Walleye

Hi Icaron and welcome to the forum.

Mmmm... Pork butts!  ;)

I like the bark on the outside so I slather the butt with plain yellow mustard then apply my favorite rub. Preheat the Bradley to 210. I usually start mine the night before usually around 6 pm. 4 hours of your favorite smoke then empty & refill the water bowl and off to bed. I usuually take the internal temp up to 190 to 195. You can FTC the butt for up to 5 or 6 hours if it finishes early.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Carter

Renowned Mr. Brown is a great Rub.

quarter cup black pepper
quarter cup paprika
quarter cup turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne.

Slather it in mustard and then pack on as much rub as will stick.

Plan for 2 hours a pound.  Plan that it could take longer (give yourself an extra 2-3 hours if you're expecting company).  Cook it to 185-195 degrees.  If it's done early, FTC it - wrap in foil, put in a towel, throw in the cooler.  Dont' worry, it will stay hot.

Once you shred it, the sauce we really like is Carolina red
1 and a half cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon hot dried red chilie flakes
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt.

We just mix it in, throw the pork on buns, and slap on some cole slaw and everybody is good to go.

Iceman's sauce is exceptional as well for a thick more traditional tomato based BBQ sauce.

Carter

SKSmoker

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5068.15

Hopefully that helps. I take my butts to 205 and they are like butter.
Lead by example

Habanero Smoker

I usually use the method Iceman, Mike, and Carter use. Also I generally use the recipes that Carter posted, and if you want to use a North Carolina vaunted vinegar sauce just eliminate the ketchup, and reduce the vinegar by 1/2 of cup. Also using Nakano Rice Vinegar instead of cider vinegar gives the pulled pork a sweeter taste; some have used balsamic. I rub the butts down with olive oil instead of mustard; it's a lot less messier. I smoke mine at 200°F, applying 4 hours or smoke (pecan or maple). I don't take the meat temperature as high as others. I only take the meat to an internal temperature of 175°F. To get the smoke flavor more evenly distributed throughout the pulled pork, I save of the bark, finely chop it, and mix it in with the pulled meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lcaron

Thanks to all

I cant wait to get this thing in the smoker

I wil keep everyone posted on the results

Larry

lcaron

well it went in @ 10:00 pm last night
I cant seem to figure out how to post pictures

lcaron

got it
here it is just going in!

lcaron

Mr Walleye

Lookin' good lcaron!  8)

Great food on the horizon!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Just had breakfast and I see this. Now I'm hungry all over again! Looks good Icaron.

CLAREGO

great looking piece of meat ! what kind of thermometer you using there icaron ?

West Coast Kansan

It is a pretty thing with much fun ahead.  Thanks for sharing .... great first shot.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)