Second smoke of 130 Garlic Bulbs went well !!

Started by hollyandtheivybhx, April 03, 2008, 11:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollyandtheivybhx

Last night I cold smoked yet another 130 Garlic Bulbs in the BDS ready for the 3 Farmers Markets I will be attending today and over the weekend. Customers are buying the bulbs 2 to 3 at a time which is GREAT !!!!!. Only hope that at the hight of the summer I can keep up the production. I have been smoking them for 4 - 5 hours currently

3rensho

Sounds great.  What kind of pucks do you use or does it even matter since garlic is so potent on its own?

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

hollyandtheivybhx

I smoke the Garlic with AppleWood Pucks  ;) which makes I beleave a big difference. The majority of smoke houses in the UK use OAK, which I find to strrong personally.

75 out of the 130 sold have to get another lot on the go !!!!  ::)

Lin

La Quinta

WOW...that's very kool!!! So you just sell them already smoked (and pardon me) soft and smushy? Or do you just smoke them to infuse smoke and they're still firm?

hollyandtheivybhx

Hi La Quinta , No we smoke them COLD and only infuse them with the smoke. The people in Birmingham at the 3 Farmers Markets we have done over this weekend are buying the stuff like MAD !!!!, buying the bulbs 3 - at a time and they seem to especially like the use of AppleWood instead of Oak. Out of the 130 cloves only 20 remaining I will have to be smoking again today (after husband clears the snow) more Garlic, Salt, Nuts ,4 Trout for dinner today of my own cooking needs and for the Farmers Markets later this week.

Me thinks that Paul will be making his way on Monday back to Birmingham Wholesale Market for another couple of boxes of Garlic !!!

Our Back Garden Covered In Snow

A basket of AppleWood Smoked Garlic

West Coast Kansan

Lin, really enjoy your posts.  This is habit forming you know - or did they tell you  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Kummok

I know a little bit about snow, but never smoked a garlic bulb....hadn't even thought of it....all I ever smoke is fish...gotta get a life. Never met a garlic I didn't like, but have usually roasted them in the oven, then eaten the whole bulb. Gotta do this one...thanX for sharing. I'd gladly give US $1.58 for a bulb of applewood smoked garlic to share with my Imperial Stout right now! 8)

bigredsmoker

Is the smoke able to penetrate the skins on the whole Garlic bulbs? The time I smoked Garlic I cut the tops off and hot smoked them with a little drizzle of olive oil on them. Just wondering.

Terry

hollyandtheivybhx

Terry,

I remove some of the loose outer scales of the Garlic and then give them a VERY LIGHT SPRAY with Olive Oil to help attract the smoke. I then COLD smoke the Garlic with Applewood Pucks (which I have found very popular flavour in the UK) for 3 hours. The Garlic comes our smoked penetrated through to the cloves, the bulb is still uncooked and hard and as I said earlier in the thread is selling extremley well at the Farmers Markets and Food Show. Infact we are are attending a Game Fair in a couple of weeks time where the show organisers have asked if we will bring our Bradley with us and "Smoke Garlic LIVE" as a crowd puller !!!!! ;).

Saying that when I need to use the Garlic for "cooking purposes" like Chutneys I make using Garlic I then do as you do I smoke the garlic with a hot smoke until they are soft  :).

Hope this helps

Lin

BTW Where in the world are you from bigredsmoker  ;)

Scotty-G

WOW - I've got to try this too.

I've got and electric Garlic Roaster and it does a GREAT Job of roasting up to 3 garlic bulbs in ~30 min.
Bulk Cold smoking some garlic before roasting a few might just be the trick for an awesome

Garlic Butter to put ontop of crisp sourdough toast, topped with soft roasted garlic, fresh grated Parmessano-Reggiano and cracked black pepper - under the broiler for a few min to melt the cheese - AWESOME unsmoked so only can get better  :D

bigredsmoker

Lin, I am in Omaha, Nebraska, which is pretty much right in the middle of the United States. I live on the outer edge of the Omaha city limits. Omaha itself hs a population of about 427,000. Our entire state only has about 1.8 million people in it. As a comparison, California is about twice the size of the state of Nebraska but has over 36 million people. We have a lot more room to spred out here in Nebraska. Just how I like it.

Where are you at? I am not at all familiar with the UK, but thanks to the internet I can become familiar without too much trouble. :D

Terry

PS: I think I will have to try your method some time soon.

hollyandtheivybhx

Birminham is located nearly in the centre of the UK. It is also not far from Stratford Upon Avon (William Shakespear Country). As my previous posts "Smoked Garlic" and generally" Smoked Products" in the UK are on the up and up. I now also smoke for selling at the Farmers Markets I attend smoked Seeds, Nuts & Salt.

Have a look at my WEB Site for other smoked products I do if you want at www.hollyandtheivy.co.uk  ;)

Lin

manxman

QuoteHave a look at my WEB Site for other smoked products I do if you want at www.hollyandtheivy.co.u

Excellent website Lin, looks really good and also looks like business is booming. Great advert for B.S's too. :)

Must try using apple next time I smoke garlic, I have found quite a few people love oak but also quite a few that find it rather overpowering as you say.

I started off buying the Bradley as a cold smoker and did all sorts.......... bacon, fish, garlic, cheese, salt, butter, vegetables etc but it wasn't until I joined the forum that I found out more about hot smoking from our friends on the other side of the pond .

Very versatile the B.S!

Good luck with the business.  :)
Manxman

La Quinta

Lin...very kool website!! Looks like you guys are having fun!! My husband is from Northampton...not to far from you I understand! The chutnies (sp?) look awesome!! Well done!! Do you ship over "here"?

hollyandtheivybhx

I would love to supply you guys in the US (I assume that is where you are based) with English Chutneys and Preserves, but the big problem is shipping costs :-[. Perhaps if you ever come to Northampton you could take some back with you then  ;)

Lin