Habs!! Pastrami recipe question

Started by KyNola, April 05, 2008, 01:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Habs,
I'm going to do my first beef pastrami with your recipe that is posted on the recipe site.  As I know you tweak and revise your recipes from time to time do you have any new ideas on seasoning, cook temp and IT?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks for all your knowledge and blazing the trail for guys like me.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

I've made a few changes in how I smoke/cook it. I now use the basic cure; instead of Morton's TQ. Two reasons for this, I have a ton of InstaCure #1, and to mix up a batch of Basic Cure is very inexpensive. Also I find that the end product is less salty, but Morton's TQ seems to give it a unique flavor, which I find good. I've tried changing the other ingredients, but always go back to the original recipe.

Basic Cure
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5463.0

I now finish it by steaming in the oven. I have tried a brine cure, but I didn't like it as much as the dry cured pastrami. Here are the directions for finishing the pastrami by steaming. Looking at the recipe I just saw a mistake. Towards the end of the recipe I mistakenly implied that the ingredients for the rub was a cure, I've just corrected that.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5946.0

Finally I only take the pastrami to 160°F.

Good luck!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

FLBentRider

Hey Kynola,

Which pucks are you going to use to for the pastrami ? I put an eight lb one in the cure Saturday.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Rider,
I haven't fully decided yet but I am leaning towards apple.  Apple is fast becoming my favorite wood for smoking.  I was a true blue hickory fan until I started working more with apple.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Pecan Sounds good.

What would the "traditional" wood be for Pastrami ?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Consiglieri

I think milder smoke will help with the pastrami.  I followed Habs advice and it worked quite well.

But as for your Pecan comment: I really like fruit an nut wood for pork.  I live in Central Valley California.  Almond wood is readily available and quite good for barbequing and smoking.  Leave a nice, light finish.  When I started with the Bradley, the almond choice wasn't available, but an equal mix of apple and pecan is a close resemblance.  Give it a try; I think you'll like it.
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

Pecan is quickly becoming my favorite for pork and chicken. I have tried pecan on a brisket once and had good results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KyNola

A little disappointed in my brisket.  Purchased a 9.36 pound brisket.   Got it home from the meat market and it had a hugely thick fat cap.  Based on several different posts on here, I trimmed the fat cap down to about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.  Weighed it after the fat cap trim.  Weighed in at barely 5 pounds. :(  Nonetheless, made the dry cure recipe for pastrami and it is in the frig as we speak.  About 24 hours into the cure and it has produced a lot of liquid so I know the cure is doing its thing.

It's all OK though.  It's my first time at pastrami.  It's all about learning.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Habs,

I just took the pastrami brisket out of the cure. I have had something come up, I can't smoke it until Sunday. After soaking and I am going to let it dry overnight. Should I put the rub on first thing in the AM or wait until Sunday (or Saturday night) before I smoke it ?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

KyNola...follow Habs recipe exactly...it is awesome pastrami...well worth the effort. :)

KyNola

Thanks LQ, I learned long ago not to question Habs's recipe.  They are always dead on.  Just riding on all of the masters of the Bradley Smoker's coattails.

KyNola

La Quinta

Me too Ky...welcome to the club!! :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 09, 2008, 05:46:05 PM
Habs,

I just took the pastrami brisket out of the cure. I have had something come up, I can't smoke it until Sunday. After soaking and I am going to let it dry overnight. Should I put the rub on first thing in the AM or wait until Sunday (or Saturday night) before I smoke it ?

Holding the pastrami in the refrigerator until Sunday is alright. As far as the rub, I would say which ever is more convenient for you. I've never put the rub on that far in advance, but I don't see any problem with that either. After applying the rub make sure that it is tightly wrapped in plastic. Also the day you plan to smoke the pastrami, if the rub seems wet and loose, I would press the rub down into the meat, and let it air dry at room temperature for an hour while the smoke is being prepared.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!