Brisket---cook fat side up or down?????

Started by tturaider, April 06, 2008, 06:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

Which is the best way to cook a brisket?  Fat up or down?  How often do you switch....if you do?

thanks
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Gizmo

Fat up the entire time.  The fat renders down through the meat providing flavoring and moisture.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

tturaider

Thanks Giz....do you season the fat side as well or just the meat side??

KyNola

tturaider

Gizmo

Yup, both sides, edges, every nook and cranny.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

tturaider

West Coast Kansan

Nothing says it is unlawfull to spike the grisket from the top (fat side) to about half way through. Wont promise it helps but is one of those mind games that makes me think it does.  ;D I will usually trim off the majority of the fat to maybe a 1/4 inch or little more.  ;) Are you seperating the flat and point?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

tturaider

West I just bought a market trimmed flat so that it would fit in the racks.

tturaider

ONE other ?. I smoked the briskets (flats) to an internal temp of 185-190 with the fat side up.  While the meat was tender it seemed to be a little dry. I tried to not open the door on the cooker except to change the H2O and rotate the trays for a total of opening it twice. Also, I sprayed em with apple juice when I did open it.

Any suggestions...comments?

Ive thought of wrapping them n foil after the initial smoke to try to help. I know you can pull em out and "boat" em in the over but was wondering if there was a way to keep em out on the racks without em getting dry.

thanks,
ttu

FLBentRider

My first Brisket was a little dry too, same process - similar results. Was it a "Sams Club" brisket ? I was talking with a butcher and he stated that (sams) is a "first cut" brisket, that if you were to try to smoke and make Q out of, that yes, it would be dry. He did not get to explain why (I love shopping with small children)  ;) - So I purchased a "regular" flat to make my pastrami. We shall see. He was only $0.11 per lb more than Sams. He _did_ have a "Kobe" brisket for $6.00 a pound.  - I wonder what kind of Q that would make.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tturaider

FL I have also used a Sams brisket before and it wasnt good!!!  I bought these at a higher end food chain store.  They were select grade and I almost got a couple of whole choice briskets and had them split em for me but I went with the easier version.  Maybe that is what it is???

West Coast Kansan

With select grade I have found a lot of variation between pieces with some good and others i have just scratched my head. Choice grade has been a consistent performer for me.

The only thing kobe I have done is tritip roasts.  The kobe seemed to pull more smoke flavor than i like and it was frankly not as good. Other kobe is clearly a treat but i have not tried to smoke it.

On the dry brisket, maybe it was the grade or cooking temp.  The IT you used is fine - - other thought is use a lower tower temp? I dont know where you were but I stay at close to 200 as possible... it takes a little longer to get to the IT but you can pull it out at a lower IT to help balance the time - 180 to 185F.  Boating is not a bad idea either, Gizmo boats his briskets and I REALLY like eating his food - but it seems like more of a femine approach than I like.  :D   :D  :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

tturaider

Thx West...yea I was thinking on trying a lower temp around 200 next time....this time it was arnd 210-215. I thought that might b part of the prob as well.  I will b sure to get choice grade next time and maybe that will help as well.

Have you ever tried wrapping them n foil after 4 hrs???

West Coast Kansan

I have not but that does not mean it has not been done.  That is a popular approach with ribs.