Indian Candy trial

Started by weekendsmoker, April 15, 2008, 04:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi, I'm going to try and make some indian candy this weekend but can't seem to find any posts on the forum.  Has anyone tried it?  Any advice and/or recipes to help me along the way?  I had some from Vancouver that a friend brough out and it waas fantastic!

Thanks,

Jason.

3rensho

Some time back there was a thread on it that turned into a rant because the posts used a non-PC name for the "indian candy".  You might search for that.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Kummok

I don't recall any PC rants  ??? about it, but do recall several threads about "squaw candy". They don't seem to show up in the 'search' function  (PC cops?) but I checked the 'Fish' topic section, starting at the last page and working to the most current, and they are still there.....watch for "candy" and "candied" in the title.......

3rensho

Yeah it was about squaw candy and as I recall someone really got bent out of shape over the term.  Perhaps it was deleted at some point.

Tom

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: weekendsmoker on April 15, 2008, 04:41:22 AM
Hi, I'm going to try and make some indian candy this weekend but can't seem to find any posts on the forum.  Has anyone tried it?  Any advice and/or recipes to help me along the way?  I had some from Vancouver that a friend brough out and it waas fantastic!

Thanks,

Jason.

I made some last year....really good. up here in the coal region i think they call em slivers or sumthin like that.

nepas

iceman

Quote from: Kummok on April 15, 2008, 05:06:58 AM
I don't recall any PC rants  ??? about it, but do recall several threads about "squaw candy". They don't seem to show up in the 'search' function  (PC cops?) but I checked the 'Fish' topic section, starting at the last page and working to the most current, and they are still there.....watch for "candy" and "candied" in the title.......

It was me that started the "WAR" about Indian Candy. A gentleman from Canada that no longer cares to associate with us at this forum was really on a soap box about calling it "Squaw Candy". He actually was quite insulted and was really ranting on everyone here and I sure got some nasty PM's so the threads were deleted. I grew up calling it that and every village I've ever been in for the last 35 years used that terminology so I could never figure out where the guy was coming from with the anger thing. Oh well, life goes on as they say. Funny thing is even cook books and recipe forums title it as Squaw Candy.  ::) ;)

3rensho

Yeah, there's no pleasin' some folks.  If anyone has a recipe/procedure I'd appreciate having it.  I'm sure no one in these parts has ever heard of it or tried it.  Would be a hit at a party.

Tom

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: 3rensho on April 15, 2008, 09:03:30 AM
Yeah, there's no pleasin' some folks.  If anyone has a recipe/procedure I'd appreciate having it.  I'm sure no one in these parts has ever heard of it or tried it.  Would be a hit at a party.

Tom

For One Pound Of Salmon

1 quart cold water

3/8 cup table or pickling salt
OR
4 ounces of Kosher salt

3/8 cup brown sugar

For Four Pounds of Salmon

1 gallon cold water

1-and-1/2 cups table or pickling salt
OR
15 oz of Kosher salt

1-and-1/2 cups brown sugar

For More Flavor
You can add other flavors to this basic brine for smoked salmon. Add fresh herbs, spices, hot peppers, garlic, onion, wine, soy sauce...just about anything...to the basic brine to kick up the taste.

To get the best flavor from the spices and herbs, bring one-quarter of the water called for (before adding salt) to a boil in a covered pan. Immediately remove from heat, add the herbs and spices, cover, and let it steep for ten minutes. Then go ahead and add it to the remaining brine ingredients.

Remember to cut the brined salmon into strips before smoking....Thus called indian candy or fingers.

Hope this helps some.

nepas

pensrock

Nepas,
  That sounds great but you left out some critical info. What kind of wood? How long to smoke? What temp to smoke at? How to know when its done?
   I may try this myself, I have a friend who is providing me with salmon, he loved the batch of Kummoks I made and he wants me to do another batch so I'll just ask him for another pound or two or four or six.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

huhwhatliar

This is the recipe I use for Indian Candy.

Salmon fillets cut into 1/2" strips
salt
brown sugar

In a large bowl, mix together salt and brown sugar in a 50/50 ratio making certain you have enough to completely cover the salmon. Place salmon in the bowl and coat evenly with the mix by rolling salmon in through the mix. Leave salmon in the bowl, in a cool place 40°F for 12 to 24 hours. Remove salmon from the bowl, rinse off excess mix and pat dry.

I used 2 ½ hrs of maple bisquettes and smoked at 110°F to 135°F for 4 to 5 hours. You can smoke longer depending on your preference as to texture and taste but the longer the smoking process, the more chewy the Indian Candy will be.

Domenick

They say home is where family is not......

weekendsmoker

I found Kummok's post you were talking about finally and here is the link (sorry I don't know how to paste it as a link so you will have to cut and paste into the browser bar. 

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0

Great detailed instructions.

Jason.

yul

I have used the recipe on this site and found it to be very near the Indian Candy that you are talking about. The recipe sounds very similar to the one already posted above by huhwhatliar with the exception that this one adds garlic. I modified the recipe by using 2 teaspoons of garlic salt rather than the fresh cloves and it turned out great. I have even vacum packed and frozen some of the finished fillets and when you finally get to eat them they taste even better. I smoked the fish using Alder pucks.

www.salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html
Brian. Montreal.

3rensho

Many thanks for the links.  Next time there is a sale on salmon I'll whip up a batch.

Tom

weekendsmoker

With Kummok's brine, do you think chicken breasts would be good in there?

Kummok

Quote from: iceman on April 15, 2008, 08:54:31 AM
It was me that started the "WAR" about Indian Candy. A gentleman from Canada that no longer cares to associate with us at this forum was really on a soap box about calling it "Squaw Candy". He actually was quite insulted and was really ranting on everyone here and I sure got some nasty PM's so the threads were deleted. I grew up calling it that and every village I've ever been in for the last 35 years used that terminology so I could never figure out where the guy was coming from with the anger thing. Oh well, life goes on as they say. Funny thing is even cook books and recipe forums title it as Squaw Candy.  ::) ;)

Sounds like a good thread to forget, Ice....glad I can't recall it! The many native Alaskans I know would get a big kick outta someone being so PO'd about something sooooo insignificant...and would likely offer him some squaw candy while enjoying the entertainment. Sorry you had that PM experience....one of the "dangers" of a virtual presence :o ;) :D  Fortunately that's what the 'Delete' button controls AND it's great that the good stuff on the forum far outweighs the exposure to the occasional too-tightly-wound gadfly....

I might also add to the posted recipes (delicious postings!!), that the reason "cut into strips" is important is that the long narrow strips allow for a dryer texture in the finished product. The strips are typically hung when smoked and endure a longer, colder smoke time than flat-racked smoking. Regarding what wood to use......"true" squaw candy is smoked with alder, because that's what's available in the village....but there's no hard/fast rule....it's a personal taste thing; heck, I've even been known to spike the alder with a little mesquite! :o ;) ;D Definitely against the rules....but then again, so is jazz!!