Pulled Pork Butt

Started by wicz, April 19, 2008, 06:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicz

OK, I am having a brain fart this morning.  At what temp does Pork Butt pull?  Is it 190 - 200???  Thank for all the help guys.

huhwhatliar

I pull mine at 185-190.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

Mr Walleye

Morning Wicz

I usually take mine to 190 to 195 to pull. I usually keep a tower temp of about 210 to 220.

Habs has noted that he uses a tower temp of 200 and only takes the IT to about 175 and it pulls good for him. Although I haven't tried his method I believe he said it takes about the same amount of time because of the lower tower temp.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

I run a cabinet of 210-220 and take it to 175 IT....the ones I ran to 180+ seemed kinda mushy for my taste.

wicz

Thank you everyone for the help.  I just couldn't remember what temp to pull it out.  Normally I have my Bradley at 250 and pull the pork out at 190 to 200.  Then I FTC for 3 hours.  The family loves the pulled pork and has been dying for it all winter.

This is my first smoke of the year.  I have a pork butt and 2 racks of spare ribs.  This is my first attempt at spare ribs.  I am thinking they make take 5 to 6 hrs to get done.

West Coast Kansan

WICZ, I will be in your part of the world the weekend before Memorial Day,  Let hope for some good weather. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tiny Tim on April 19, 2008, 07:04:47 AM
I run a cabinet of 210-220 and take it to 175 IT....the ones I ran to 180+ seemed kinda mushy for my taste.

TT;
Thanks for that information. I may try my next one at 210°F, and pull it at 175°F.

Now you got me thinking, I may stay at 200°F, and check to see if it will fall apart at 170°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wicz

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on April 19, 2008, 12:11:56 PM
WICZ, I will be in your part of the world the weekend before Memorial Day,  Let hope for some good weather. 

Lets hope so...  We maybe at the lake for the weekend.

West Coast Kansan

I will send a PM when the time get closer and we know whats what better.  Take Care,

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 19, 2008, 01:55:55 PM
Quote from: Tiny Tim on April 19, 2008, 07:04:47 AM

TT;
Thanks for that information. I may try my next one at 210°F, and pull it at 175°F.

Now you got me thinking, I may stay at 200°F, and check to see if it will fall apart at 170°F.

Habs - I am interested in knowing the outcome.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

My last batch I did with a tower temp of ~200 - pulled them @ 190 IT. Butter.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Wildcat on April 19, 2008, 06:21:41 PM

Habs - I am interested in knowing the outcome.
I probably won't get around to making any pulled pork until mid-May, but I'll let you know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kane

I always pull mine at 190-195. 

ok, I have a BIG party coming up on June 7th. Im gonna be doing several pounds of pulled pork, as many ribs as I can fit in the Bradley and Ill also have the grill going for Beer Brats, dogs and burgers. (fussy women, children) also doing Baked beans. Full day for me!

anyway, my plan was to smoke the onion and bacon for the baked beans on Friday afternoon than start the pork butts around 4pm for a all night smoke. That gives me 16 hours of Bradley time for them to hit 190 than Ill shred and put in a slow cooker to warm up later. should be no problem. Ribs go in at 8am Saturday. planning 8 to 9 hours for those and the beans Ill do in the oven with those chopped up pieces of smoked bacon and onion. yum!  sounds like a plan.

a better option for me would be to do the pork butts the sunday prior, shred and than refrigerate but Im concerned a week may be a lil long. I dont wanna freeze!!!  whatcha guys think?

FLBentRider

I have kept pulled pork refridgerated at least a week. But it usually does not last that long. If you have a vacuum sealer I would think a week would be fine, but I'm not the food safety police either...

FWIW, it does freeze well, and if you froze it, then let it thaw in the refridgerator 2 days prior to serving, that would work too.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I forgot all about this thread. I just did some pulled pork 3 or 4 days ago. I had the cabinet temperature at 200°F, and took it out when the internal temperature hit 170°F. I use my thermopen to check the accuracy in several areas; and the lowest reading was 170°F.

I didn't FTC, but just wrapped it in foil, with a splash of apple juice, allowed it to cool for an hour and pulled it. The meat pulled easily, but there were pockets of gelatin that was not completely dissolved. So I will continue to use the 175°F mark. Remember; without FTC'ing the internal temperature will rise another 2-5°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.