Pulled Pork Butt

Started by wicz, April 19, 2008, 06:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatluke

OK so I know at what temperature to pull the pork, btu I'm wondering how many hours of smoke you apply to your pulled pork???

La Quinta

I only do 4...4.5 of smoke...but that's me...then crock pot it for 9 hours on low with some broth (not H20) ...still get the low and slow...just inside the house so I don't have to mess with it outside...and in a nice moist environment...so it won't dry out..smells incredible when you get up in the morning...Can't tell you how many times I've eaten pulled pork on toast in the the morning...

FLBentRider

I usually do 4 to 5 hours of smoke. Did 8 once, couldn't tell the difference from 4-5.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

As it usually takes no more than 4-5 hours for the meat to reach an IT of 140F, I only do 4-5 hours of smoke.  Anything other than that is just burning pucks.  This isn't a big deal if I'm sitting around the smoker with an adult beverage taking in the awesome aroma, but I'd rather not waste pucks when the meat won't take on any more smoke past the 140F mark.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

iceman

Consiglieri

I do 4 hours of apple or  some combo with apple and pecan or maple (or both). 
Consiglieri

Kane

well, here goes.

21 pounds of Boston Butt rubbed down with Icemans oink rub and wrapped up tight overnight. will start sometime tomorrow afternoon for a all nighter. will be hitting em with 4 hours of apple at 225. what do you guys think on time? 14 to 16 hour range?

FLBentRider

Mine usually run about 18 to 20 hours with that size load, but I try to keep the OBS @ ~200F.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Kane

I got a full load of Baby Backs going in right after these Butts are done so Im hopefull it wont be that long. I suppose worst case I could always finish the butts in the oven

FLBentRider

I have not done that yet, but I have been tempted to pull the butts out of the smoker after the pucks are done and put them in the oven. It would certainly free up the smoker for other foods and probably be easier to clean up.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Kane,
Last two butts I did I smoked them for 4 hours and then straight into the house oven at 210 degrees on a rack in a roasting pan.  Left uncovered the entire time.  When they got to 180 IT, I FTC'd them for 2 hours.  Best butts I have ever done.  I find the temp in my house oven is much more consistent than my Bradley.

With as big a load as you have, I have a feeling it is going to take longer than 14-16 hours.  The house oven may be a good alternative for you as you have ribs to do right behind the butts.

KyNola

Kane

KyNola,

thanks for the reply. Ive decided thats how Im gonna do these. Getting ready to start em within a hour here.  Ill post results

iceman

Quote from: KyNola on June 06, 2008, 08:39:27 AM
Kane,
Last two butts I did I smoked them for 4 hours and then straight into the house oven at 210 degrees on a rack in a roasting pan.  Left uncovered the entire time.  When they got to 180 IT, I FTC'd them for 2 hours.  Best butts I have ever done.  I find the temp in my house oven is much more consistent than my Bradley.

With as big a load as you have, I have a feeling it is going to take longer than 14-16 hours.  The house oven may be a good alternative for you as you have ribs to do right behind the butts.

KyNola

Yep, what KyNola said.  ;D ;)