Salmon in the brine!!!

Started by KyNola, April 19, 2008, 01:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Habs...I've read a few posts of yours (and others) about this graduating increase in temp. Can you tell me what is the benefit of that? My assumption would be that you run less of a chance of over cooking something (especially fish) but...I believe I've even read about this method with bacon?

Kummok

Quote from: aces-n-eights on April 26, 2008, 12:59:19 PM
When's your next class?  ;D  I seem to recall you are in Homer....  I'm just up in Soldotna and would seriously consider coming down to Homer for a class!

Looks like they're lining one up for June/July down on the Spit. They're usually around 4 hours long to allow time for a complete smoke that I start at the beginning of class, after I show everyone the pellicle to strive for. It covers everything from the time you hook up until you eat the finished product.....processing, filleting, de-boning, skinning, knives/tools, smokers, woods, brines, drying, and on, and on....... Lately it's been hosted via the T.R.A.I.L.S program.....I'm down in Seattle now or I'd get you their phone #, but I think they are in the book and they advertise pretty well when they set a date.........come on down, smoke, eat, and go fishing!!

BTW....anyone heard from Boutch lately?? He really had some good ideas/recipes/etc!!

Smoking Duck

Hey Kummok,

Any plans on taking the show to Indiana?  We got some decent salmon fishing in the big lake (Michigan).  Not like your fishing, I'm sure, but you could give a clinic and then do some fishing in these parts :D.  Everyone is bugging me to do some more of your salmon, but, until I go and catch some, it ain't happening just yet.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: La Quinta on April 26, 2008, 03:02:03 PM
Habs...I've read a few posts of yours (and others) about this graduating increase in temp. Can you tell me what is the benefit of that? My assumption would be that you run less of a chance of over cooking something (especially fish) but...I believe I've even read about this method with bacon?

The best answer to your question should come for the expert. Kummok would be the best person to answer that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Habs, Thanks for posting the link for boutch's trout smoking. It really sounds good. Did you use the cognac as stated in the recipie? I'll have to make a run to the liquor store if it is needed. I looked for boutch's posts in the member list but it said there were no posts?  ??? Oh well I do not think the search engine used here is that great but I have what I needed now. :)
Thanks, Pensrock

Kummok

Quote from: Smoking Duck on April 26, 2008, 04:02:38 PM
Hey Kummok,

Any plans on taking the show to Indiana?  We got some decent salmon fishing in the big lake (Michigan).  Not like your fishing, I'm sure, but you could give a clinic and then do some fishing in these parts :D.  Everyone is bugging me to do some more of your salmon, but, until I go and catch some, it ain't happening just yet.

That would be a fun time indeed Duckman!! No immediate plans for traveling smoking show though....right now, I'd just like to get back home to Alaska w/i the next week or so. Early spawners are due any time!!

Kummok

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 27, 2008, 02:47:32 AM
Quote from: La Quinta on April 26, 2008, 03:02:03 PM

The best answer to your question should come for the expert. Kummok would be the best person to answer that.

You know what they say about "X - Spurts", Habs!?!?! ;)

I prefer the graduated method for just the reason you stated, LQ....it prevents overcooking/drying....(boogers are a signal that you cooked too high/fast). Something about slow cooked that seems to make many foods better. Since posting that recipe a few years back, I've evolved to more time at lower temps and juuuuust enough time at the highest to bring internal temps to 160-165 range.

La Quinta

Thanks Kummok...somehow I feel a little smarter right now...doesn't take much does it??!! :)

aces-n-eights

Quote from: Kummok on April 26, 2008, 03:48:29 PM
Quote from: aces-n-eights on April 26, 2008, 12:59:19 PM
When's your next class?  ;D  I seem to recall you are in Homer....  I'm just up in Soldotna and would seriously consider coming down to Homer for a class!

...come on down, smoke, eat, and go fishing!!

I'm going to do that!  Smoke, eat, fish - doesn't get much better than that!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Gizmo

Quote from: pensrock on April 27, 2008, 07:26:22 AM
I looked for boutch's posts in the member list but it said there were no posts?  ??? Oh well I do not think the search engine used here is that great but I have what I needed now. :)
Thanks, Pensrock

If you click on search (right side of screen with white text box), when you are in a topic, it will only search that topic so you are limited to just a text search.  If you want to search the entire board, you need to click on the search (between help and profile) and enter in the text, and author if you want, to search the entire database.

Here are the Boutch posts that dealt with congnac and trout that I found with the search.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1025.msg27570#msg27570

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=315.msg4065#msg4065

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3026.msg27938#msg27938

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Giz...you are such a tech head!!! I love it!! Give VA my best!!

pensrock

Thanks Giz, all this time I have been typing in the search box thinking it would search the entire site. I never tried to click on the search tab in the menu. Well I learned how to smoke trout and use the search feature here today.  ;D ;D
Thanks,
pensrock

tsquared

QuoteHabs...I've read a few posts of yours (and others) about this graduating increase in temp. Can you tell me what is the benefit of that? My assumption would be that you run less of a chance of over cooking something (especially fish) but...I believe I've even read about this method with bacon?

LQ--what you are asking about is called "kippering" or "tempering" fish. Here is a quote from "smoking Salmon and Trout" by Jack Whelan which goes into some detail.
Tempering is gradual as opposed to sudden heating, and is also important both for appearance and quality. Sudden heating is undesirable because it brings soluble protein (Kummok's boogers)to the surface where it forms pools on the surface. The pools then dry into white, unappetizing curds as the fish smokes. Sudden heating also causes cracks in the surface and uneven heating.
Hope this helps.
T2

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pensrock on April 27, 2008, 07:26:22 AM
Habs, Thanks for posting the link for boutch's trout smoking. It really sounds good. Did you use the cognac as stated in the recipie? I'll have to make a run to the liquor store if it is needed. I looked for boutch's posts in the member list but it said there were no posts?  ??? Oh well I do not think the search engine used here is that great but I have what I needed now. :)
Thanks, Pensrock

I just check and he has 25 posts, most of them are in the thread that I linked. This search engine just gives to many false hits. I always get pages and pages of post that are not even related; too many to wade through for relevant information.

The cognac is what makes or breaks this brine, and heed his warning of not buying the cheap stuff. I find that Courvoisier VS works great, it's not that cheap so it won't ruin your brine, but not that expensive to break your wallet. Once I ran out of cognac and used brandy and was disappointed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Habs, I picked up the cognac you suggested today. Now as soon as the salmon and steelhead are dropped off I can thaw and start the brining. I will use the cognac brine for the steelhead and Kummocks for the salmon. Everyone loved the salmon the last time.... why mess with a good thing. All though do you think a little cognac in Kummocks brine would hurt?  ???
Thanks for the info,
pensrock