Salmon in the brine!!!

Started by KyNola, April 19, 2008, 01:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Just put about 12 lbs. of salmon in the brine.  As I was running short on time, I used the brine mix for fish from Hi-Mountain.  Have used it before and like it pretty well.  Once brined, will put it on drying racks and very lightly sprinkle Tony Chacere's cajun seasoning on it.  In the smoker tomorrow with alder wood.

I have learned a very valuable lesson with the Bradley.  Once your friends have partaken from the Bradley and they know you smoke something pretty much every weekend, they will walk right up to you, look you in the eyes and ask what you're smoking this weekend and can they have some of whatever it is! :D  For me, that's the fun of it.  I love to give great smoked food to my friends.  I haven't had the heart to tell them how incredibly easy it is.

Smoke on!!
KyNola 

Kummok

Way to be, KyNola....you're MY kind of neighbor!!! Keep 'em thinking that it's an incredibly complex process that you have to protect and hope that they don't discover the Bradley Forum!!  ;) ;) ;D   Just kidding on the "secret" part, of course.... I give salmon smoking classes locally and have even more fun than just passing it out!! Nothing like one of your "students" catching up with you in the local store or Post Office and raving about their first smoke and ecstatically thanking you !!

KyNola

Thanks Kummok, it is fun when someone you have given something good to turns to someone and ask if they have ever had anything to come out of your smoker.  I have a friend who runs a large BBQ restaurant and he is stunned by the quality of food that comes out of the Bradley.  He's keeps saying "that came out of your little smoker?"  Yep, right out of that little electirc smoker! ;D :D ;D

I'm using your method of bringing the smoke temp up in stages.  In the first round currently at about 105 degrees.  Thank you for all of your vast knowledge.

KyNola

westexasmoker

I totally agree with ya, I've got people at work always asking the same question...What ya smok'in this weekend..The funny thing is for every Christmas food fest at work I have to do a ham and get rave reviews every year (granted not on the BS cause I did'nt own one), but now its "Are you doing some cheese, salmon...what are you doing!!  And what's funny is I'm one of those guys that is so self-critical of everything I cook I always question myself...Anyways  Congrats!!!  And more good smokin!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

I'm with ya Westexas...people love our food...I can always find fault with it...sometimes ya hit a homerun though...I have... every once in a blue moon...but...it is sweet when it happens!! :)

Kummok

That's the neat thing about the forum, LQ...once in awhile we hit a home run...the rest of the time someone helps bring us home!! ;) ;D

La Quinta

Yeah...I'm with ya Kummok...IronHabs usually yanks me from third to home with his amazing food knowledge!!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Kummok,
  A friend gave me another King to smoke and also a big Steelhead. Have you ever tried steelhead using your salmon recipie? As good as the king came out last time I think the steelhead would also be good.
pensrock

Kummok

Haven't smoked steelhead, Pensrock......I don't even fish for it here, (too hooked on feeder Kings!). The last place I regularly fished for steelhead was the upper Klamath River and nobody ate those that I know of....the river was fed from the refuge and was chock full of duck/goose crap, which meant so were the fish. :P Try a search on "Boutch" .....as I recall, he knew his way around trout pretty dang well and posted a recipe or two plus some great advice on smoking members of the trout family......

aces-n-eights

Quote from: Kummok on April 19, 2008, 07:02:01 PM

.... I give salmon smoking classes locally and have even more fun than just passing it out!! Nothing like one of your "students" catching up with you in the local store or Post Office and raving about their first smoke and ecstatically thanking you !! 

When's your next class?  ;D  I seem to recall you are in Homer....  I'm just up in Soldotna and would seriously consider coming down to Homer for a class!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

pensrock

Ok thanks Kummok, I'll try the search and if it doesn't look promising I'll try the stelhead using your salmon recipie, I'm sure it will be acceptable. And if it comes out good I'll post it so everyone knows.
BTW, these steelhead as well as the King come from Lake Ontario and the good part is the guy suppling the fish has been fishing there for years and know how to take care of the fish after catching and fileting them.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pensrock on April 26, 2008, 01:53:58 PM
Ok thanks Kummok, I'll try the search and if it doesn't look promising I'll try the stelhead using your salmon recipie, I'm sure it will be acceptable. And if it comes out good I'll post it so everyone knows.
BTW, these steelhead as well as the King come from Lake Ontario and the good part is the guy suppling the fish has been fishing there for years and know how to take care of the fish after catching and fileting them.

I've used Boutch's brine for trout and other white fish. It is fantastic.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Habs, I did a search and came up empty. Could you post the brine recipe and how to smoke it?
Thanks,
pensrock

Habanero Smoker

Here you go. It's a hard post to find. When I need it I go to the members list and look through BOUTCH's posts. Make sure you read the whole thread. By the way, try to avoid smelling the brine, you may be tempted to drink it. This recipe will soon be posted on the recipe site.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1025.msg27570#msg27570

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)