Diagnose my ribs -

Started by dscarry, April 19, 2008, 11:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dscarry

This is my second shot on ribs, and they turned out pretty good - but I know they could be much better.

Help me diagnose my rib recipe -

My rub is basically a lot of brown sugar, some kosher salt and some chili powder.

I cooked them about 210 for 6 total hours, 3 hours with smoke, 2 hours without and 1 hour in foil.

They were VERY tender, but the crust was way to thick. I don't think it was just the sugar camarlizing, but just the outside overdone.

I'm thinking I have to wrap in foil after three, instead of just for the final hour.

Does anyone thing a rub made of predominently brown sugar also adds to the problem?

The other major isssue is the membrane. Hard as I try, I can't get the membrane off. When I do get it off, the ribs are pretty torn up. If I don't get it off, I'm sure you all know what happens.

One other question - I feel like my ribs are getting ok, my pulled pork is great - what cut should I try next?

Wildcat

When I do ribs I apply Iceman's rub after applying olive oil.  I smoke at 200 or less until meat pulls away from bone.  After that I sometimes apply Ice's sauce and kind of dry the sauce on the grill.  As far as the membrane, I use some catfish skinning pliers.  I read a post somewhere that a member sometimes just puts some cross cuts on the membrane.

I would go for a brisket next, or chickenwraps.  Click on the link at the bottom of my post to go to the recipe site.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

I also use Iceman's rub on ribs, but with a mustard slather. I add a little garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper, and cook at 200-210 with 2 hours of smoke. Usually takes around 6 hours to do 2 full DBS racks. Oh, and I spritz with apple juice every hour or so after the smoke clears, and rotate the racks.

KyNola

dscarry,
Welcome aboard!!  I think you have already diagnosed your ribs.  Wrapping in foil right after the smoke period is correct in my opinion.  A predominant brown sugar rub may be a part of the reason for the thick crust.  Wrapping in foil right after the smoke period will allow the ribs to somewhat steam themselves and should keep the crust from being too excessive as well.

There are guys and gals on here who are far more experienced than me.  As always, I will yield to their vast knowledge.

KyNola

West Coast Kansan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks-J1pJ7xQ

This is the how to remove membrane video posted by someone here earlier.  The bottom line, Gloves and paper towel.  Well thawed and flexed helps as well.  - Really the membrane is about a 50 / 50 deal in my experience about half the time it comes off like the video the other half well  :-[  :-X  :-\  :'(

The raw pork with coke = worms vids are near this link now and are entertaining  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)