Comparing NON commercial smokers to bradley digitals

Started by DocZ, April 19, 2008, 04:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocZ

Hi to all the regulars that have helped me with my smoker set-up. A friend of mine is ready to buy his own smoker and has asked my help. While I love my bradley, I hesitate to say to him that he should plan on a fan conversion, getting an aftermarket temperature probe, and figure a workaround for the 120 degree minimum setting on the thermostat. On the other hand I know of nothing on the market that offers the same auto-control features for the smoke generator and cook times. I guess I need to let him look at any alternative smokers that compare for $1k or less. Thanks for any feedback.

West Coast Kansan

As I splashed around the under 1k market - bradley won my research.  Frankly Trager is next best i think, but for the money I would go bradely time after time... even when I get disgusted.

I dont have any modifications - but I do use an ET73. You must cook to IT in low and slow anyway so that is not a mod. I dont count the cardboard box as a mod for cold smoking either.

My BBQ is just tasty as any unit at any price can produce. No ring on the brisket but you know if you dont say anything nobody notices and I have gotten over it... well ok dont throw away the offset wood smoker just yet...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Wildcat

Like WCK, I did a lot of research as well.  At the time and for the money, the Bradley seemed the way to go.  Now that I have owned one for awhile, I am even more positive that I made the right choice.  The only way I would give up my current BS is if Bradley came up with a new model with higher quality materials, a PID, and --- you know what I mean.  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

The modifications you mention are not necessary to produce a great smoked product from the Bradley. They are just accessories that many of us have added on over time to improve existing performances, and to free up more time. If you check out other forums, that deal with products like the Weber Bullet, Cook Shack, and many other smokers you will find that owners of those products have developed mods. I would say that the majority of owners leave their Bradley in it's original setup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

I have the BSS model and haven't added any of the modifications that others have and the box works just fine. I have a hard enough time change a light switch. :D :D I have no problems with it and after a couple of smokes you learn all of your boxes temperments. The only add on I use is the cardboard box for cold smoking.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

3rensho

I just added a PID and a Maverick-73 so I have more time to sit on the couch with an adult beverage and monitor the meat from said couch.  ;D ;D  You really don't need to add anything though.  I had mine for 18 months before I added the PID and it worked fine.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.