Nothing like waking up to the smell of Boston Butt

Started by SmokinMoe, November 28, 2004, 01:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I have two Boston Butts going since last night and they are within 15 degrees of being done.  Having a crew over for lunch-I got smart and all I have to do is provide the meat this time!!
Anyway, one of them I injected with beer while it was sitting in the fridge with the rub, hope it comes out ok.  The other, I just prepared like the Smoke and Spice recipe.
It SMELLSSSSSSSSSS so good.
I love this smoker.
Chez, I am in severe trouble.  I can't seem to use any other puck but Pecan and maple.
I will use the Alder on the Salmon when I do that, but that Pecan is something else!!
Good grief, please tell me the other pucks are good too so I can use my stash.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

oak pucks are really good also, try injecting some coke or pepsi, a few hours before putting meat into smoker, it really works well on ribs , soda starts to break down the meat and will give you a sweat tender taste,

MallardWacker

Moe,

I am like you I love Pecan and Maple, probably Pecan just a bit more.  If I had only two woods to buy it be those two.  That being said, I did two briskets with Apple wood for Thanksgiving and I think I have found a new smoke mistress.  I liked it because it made it taste great AND it was different enough then the Pecan & Maple.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />I think I have found a new smoke mistress<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mallard, stop that! Moe is already taken & so are you! This is not a dating forum![:D][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Thanks Chez,

Im glad you didn't add the next line to the quote.  Thanks for holding back.  And~~~I don't know what to say. If I say what I thought It would be down a slipperry road of no return.   Like the stupid credit card commercial says  <u>"Thank You<b>?</b>"</u>

It is amazing how just the wiff of smoke from the smoker filled with bovine can make a mear motal fall into divers temptations.

All kidding aside: My wife~~~She be HOT, She be Foxxy, and she be Hot and Foxxy.  Period.  

Now you all quit it, my wife is working in the office for the next few weeks~~~Need I diverge.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

SmokinMoe

Ok, boys, did I miss something here or this one of those tv in the garage, used couch game-day conversations where the women aren't allowed in the garage? LOL
Play nice or I will call your mother.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Chez Bubba

Just get back to washin' the taters. I wanna eat in an hour![:D]

J/K!!![}:)][;)][}:)][;)]

And please don't call my mother![:I][:I]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Moe, I think you fell victim to a long standing committment to hassle each other.  What does that mean....you fit in.  You are brave entitling you post the way you did...it begs comment.  I frankly don't like to wake up to the smell of any butt [}:)], even it is from Boston, but I would like to know how well the pork roasts were received by your friends.

How was the beer injected one.  Was it a bit mushier than the other?  I read about a shower head injector that is supposed to eliminate the soft spots of the usual punch-needle injector.

I want to smoke another pork butt.  It was one of the first things I tried in the BS, and want to try it with the new Procom4 Guru.  Since I did the other butt, I purchased a new seal-a-meal, and this time, I am going to shred up what we don't eat, and seal it up in single and double sized sandwich size ready to unfreeze and use.  I think I am going to do the roast in the ramp off mode this time, just set the meat temp and let the Guru do the rest.

I have a few ABT's left over from Thansgiving, and had to defrost about 4# of leftover butt roast to do them...much easier to defrost smaller packages.  

Haven't done Tri-tip other than on the grill.  Think I might try some tri-tip too.  Cheap cut of meat, and results usually pleasing to eat.

Glad you like your Guru...I sure like smoking with it too.  When you get the hubby that green egg, make sure you get the fan assembly from Shotgun Fred so you can be prepared to use the guru on it too.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Haven't done Tri-tip other than on the grill.  Think I might try some tri-tip too.  Cheap cut of meat, and results usually pleasing to eat.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bill,

In my experience, there's a reason it's called a tri-tip. One tri of the tip ain't so good. The other 2/3 is pretty good eats though.[8D]

Kirk

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am like you I love Pecan and Maple, probably Pecan just a bit more. If I had only two woods to buy it be those two<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> oak pucks are really good also,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
YES YES YES YES YES YES!

In all truth the Bradley Oak is an 7.5 out of a 10 when compaired to an oak tree I pick out. Then cut and age the oak to the correct dryness. Another great wood is Grapefruit! Orange and lime/ lemon is ok, but not as good as Grapefruit. Now these examples cannot be run through the bradley, but folks grillin' some quality steaks over them is another thing.

Or try some <b><i>REAL</b></i> hamburger over them that contains 25% quality fat! Use sirloin steak for the lean, and the tails from Porter House steaks for the fat. Or even better for the fat, if you can get the lip from a Prime Rib. Note the size of the eye in this picture below. This piece is from the middle of the rib--give or take a little.

This is called a clean Rib. Notice how cleaner this piece of meat is. This piece is from the largest end of the rib, and IMO the best cut for roasting:

What is interesting about this piece of meat--I'm sure many here may know this but some may not--is once the lip is removed and you slice this into steaks it is called a Ribeye Steak. Ribeye Steaks generally are cut from the middle of the rib. I've never seen one cut from the large end. If you don't remove the Lip-On and then slice it into steaks it is called a Key-Club steak--generally it will have the bone with it. If you go to the far in of the rib the eye is small and if that is cut into steaks it is called either a Ribeye Kobe or a Delmonico Steak.

Notice how small the eye is in this picture.Sometimes in a Delmonico the eye is not really too defined.

Now don't tell my wife but the one thing I'm really going to miss when I'm dead is cookin' smokin' and eating [:D]

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Only draw back to my Bradley... No whiskey pucks, no citrus pucks.
Since I don't live close to any good citrus wood I cut slices of grapefruit, lemon or orange lay them on the grill and fish/seafood on top of the slices and cook until done.  Very tasty.  Never done a steak that way but...

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Three Quarter Pound Burgers is tne BS.  Yow~~~Zaa boys, I have done that.  Heavens they are GREAT.  Even after they were in the fridge for a couple of days....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

Mallard,

You tryin' to challenge these guys? http://www.hardees.com/[:p]

Pull up the nutrional values. Holy Cripes![:0]

Burger, cheese, mayo, bacon, butter. Maybe if they add some deep fried chicken skin it could top 2000 cals.[:D]

Kirk

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Mallard,

You tryin' to challenge these guys? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

YOU  BET, bring em on....

I do think I could probably get under 2k of cals though.  Hay I'm a low carber anway...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas