First smoke of the season, Salmon of course..

Started by yul, March 29, 2008, 04:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yul

:) The weather has finally started to moderate up here and it seems that tomorrow will be above freezing for most of the day and there is no sign of snow or worse, rain, so I have decided to smoke some salmon. I have eight 6 inch fillets in a dry brine mixture with three more hours to go. I am going to dry them overnight in the refrigerator and then get the OBS out for it's first serious smoke. Let's hope the weather man got the forecast right this time.  ;)
Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

You guys are due for some decent weather Brian. Good luck with your salmon smoke!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

yul

;D  Here are the filets, drying out. Putting them in the refrigerator overnight. Not to sure if it would be safe to leave them out on the kitchen counter all night.

More Tommorow..
Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

They look great! I'd put them in the fridge for sure. They will have a nice pelicle by morning.

Mike

yul

;D ;D The fish are in and the alder is starting to go to work.

I put the PID online later. I was having trouble trying to see the display in all this bright sunlight.

The Bradley temp gauge is not to far out

Another hour and they will be done.

:D

Brian. Montreal.

iceman

Great job yul. The only thing I see wrong is no beer in sight and the smoker is WAY to clean :D
The fish looks wonderful. ;)
Thanks for taking the time to post pictures for all of us to drool over. :D

yul

;D Thanks Iceman, I just tried a small load to break the BS in,hence the clean interior. I have been waiting for the weather and took a chance this week end that the weatherman had got it right.As you can see  from the pics,the snow is still "deep and crisp and not so even"
I was doing the smoke in the AM so no drink just yet, but then again, it must be 5-o-clock somewhere  ;D

Here are the finished articles, minus two pieces, they were used as "tasters"  ;)

Maybe going to try the famous "fatties" next  :)

Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

Congrats on getting that first smoke in Brian! Looks great!  8)

Mike

FLBentRider

Lookin' Good - another bright shiny interior
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!