The Whole Turkey

Started by nsxbill, December 01, 2004, 12:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Did anyone actually smoke a turkey this Thanksgiving without taking out to finish in the oven?  How was it?  How long did you smoke?  Cook?  I have had a little turkey I picked up before Thanksgiving that I put off smoking until these next days off.  I just took it out of a 22hr dip in apple cider thyme,sage clove and orange zest salt brine, and it is drying until tomorrow morning.  Did you just crank up the BS and measure the temp, or did you time the smoke and the cooking?

How much smoke was applied?  If you set max temp on Bradley what was it?  Did it brown, or do you have to put it in regular oven to do that?

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

nsxbill i did 2 6lb breast soaked in brine for 12 hours then air dry in fridge overnight, i set the guru on ramp mode 210 temp and meat temp at 170 and let her go , 2 hours of smoke, with  peacon and 10 hours to do,it was awsome,  10hrs tot time, vent wide open , light smoke half way i put some bacon on the breast, skin was brown, you whols bird might take 14 + hours to do , set her in late tonight and when you wake up put some bacon on the breast,

nsxbill

Thanks for the information SmokehouseRob

I went ahead and put it in at 9:00 p.m.  210° BS temp and meat set temp 165°.  This time, I am trying apple bisquettes for the first time.  I did a splash of bourbon on each bisquette.  Will post up results tomorrow.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Bill,

I know this is too late for you. I was going to finish my turkey in the oven, but decided against it. I was going to smoke until the thigh temperature was 150 degrees, then finish it off in the oven until the thigh temp. got up to 165 degrees, but changed my mind at the last minute.

I did a 12 lb. bird, and it took a little over 14 hours, at 210 degrees, using the guru with the ramp mode off. I used 3 hours of smoke 2 apple to 1 hickory, and it could have used another hour's worth. I smoked the bird vertically, with the breast toward the front, and found I did not have to rotate the shelf. I did not like the texture of the skin, and I had the vent 1/2 open.

I was reading the Guru manual, and in the manual it states when using the ramp mode you can start at a high temperature such as 350 degrees, and get the same results as if you used the slow cook method. I am going to use that technique when I smoke my next turkey, because I like a crisper skin, and hopefully with this method I will be able to obtain that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

I have now had the whole turkey in since 9:00 p.m. last night.  It is 8:11 a.m. in California.  The Ramp mode is on.  My smoker temp is down to 202°  Meat temp is 148°.  The temp was at about 225° when I gave the BS the bird[:D] and has automatically tapered down to where it is now.  My set point is 165°, so getting closer.  It was about 29° last night on the back porch where the smoker is located...don't know if the smoker temp reflects the ambient temp outside, or if it is the Guru controlling the temp down to that level..

I am going to let it go to see what happens.  I might go ahead and kick up the temp during the last hour, but I don't care about the skin texture because I never eat it (Instructions from Cardiologist).  I just want the full flavored flesh, and I am pretty sure I will get that from from this slow smoke. Still like that low and slow in all parts of my life except driving.   Then low and fast is good![}:)]

Will update when it comes out with picture. Will slide a shelf in with some bacon on it at 0900 and get some drips going!

Thanks to all for the input!

Bill

Karl913

I did an 11.5lb turkey.Brined it in apple cider and some spices.Used 5hrs. worth of apple biskets. Let the bird air dry for 1hr. while the BS warmed up.Put bird in at 7:30am. smoker temp. was about 250 deg.F. IT WAS DONE IN 4HOURS[:D].At 11:30 the both breasts hit 167&165deg.F respectively,and the dark meat read 178deg.F.the smoke box temp never got over 250deg.F.I turned the rack at 2hrs.,and left the vent about 1/4 opened.The skin was a little rubbery but the meat was moist and tender.[:p]I am new to smoken,but for the couple of newbie mistakes I made everything has come out pretty good.I am very happy I found this fourm and everyone on it.[^]                                        P.S.  Bubba I want to say THANK YOU again the stuff I ordered from you came before the BS and I ordered it first. GREAT SERVICE!!!![:)]

Habanero Smoker

Bill;

Have you tried smoking skinless poultry. If you leave the skin on that is where most of the smoke flavor will be. I may try doing some skinless chicken breast to see how it will smoke.

Karl;
What did you use to monitor the cabinet temperature. Did you use the temperature gauge on the door, or did you have a digital thermometer to monitor the cabinet temperature. I have done two 12 pounders in the past - one took  at least twelve hours and the last one took 14 hours to cook to 165 degrees thigh temperature; smoking at a temperature of 210 degrees.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Well the Turkey is done.  Here is the final product 14 hours later.  Letting it rest right now, but anxious to give it a try.  Looking pretty darn tasty!

The alarm has sounded:

Taking a little nap:

Next one, I would like to get a smoking bag and hang from hooks, or a vertical smoking rack!

<font color="red">Updated at 3:37 p.m.  The turkey got a 2 hour rest in the cooler.  My Yorkshire Terrier loves the skin!  Folks, I am moist!  Tried the turkey in a little sandwich...Didn't want to wait until the little woman gets home!...Best damn turkey I have ever had.  I thought the turkeys I fried last year were good.   DAMN!  I know now that I will probably never again do Turkey Breast on the rotisserie again!  I no doubt will be picking up about 3pr breasts and brining and smoking for Christmas crowd.  If you have not tried brining and smoking a bird, run! Don't walk to the store to pick some up to try.   Unbelievable!</font id="red">

Bill

Karl913

Hab,
     I used a polder duel-sensor thermometer.It was brand new so I think it is accurate.
                       Karl

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
Folks, I am moist!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bill,
I certainly hope you are talking about the turkey[:D][}:)].
I'm glad it turned out so well.  I think you and the Guru deserve a beer for all your hard work.  How do you like the apple smoke flavor.  It's my favorite on poultry although I usually throw a pecan puck in the mix too..

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

I was using a couple of new products for my recent smoking attempts.  Both are pictured in the above pictures and here are some close-ups of the new controller.  The rack is one of Smokehouse Bob's creations.  I didn't want to wait for the Stainless one, so I bought this on Ebay from him.  I got an extra pan from Chez, and voila, a nice rack to dry Salmon for the perfect pellicle. We used it for the ABT preparation.  Quite convenient and worth purchasing.  Keep an eye out for his other new creation.  He and Chez will be marketing it together!

Ah the next item is my new GURU.  Unbelievable!  I have had mine for a couple of weeks "Beta Testing."  Fred is now shipping them, so I can share the specifics.  I liked the Competitor he sells with the Raptor so much, I opted to pick-up the Procom4 when it was first offered on special.  Man, what a piece of equipment!

Here is the remote:

Here is the controller:

It not only holds the BS within 2° of what you set it for...meat or pit, you can monitor meat and pit (Cabinet temperature) on two different shelves, and can modify settings from 200 yards away.  It will even let you cook until meat reaches the temp you want and you can program it to automatically shut down the smoker.  

It costs more than a whole smoker, but many of you have read of my plans to hopefully retire for the 3rd time for good, and do a little traveling, hit some of the BBQ events and take the Bradley smoker on the road to cook our stuff, and additionally also pick-up a knock-down smoker...maybe do up some jerkey and sell it at the events to help with expenses.  You know the scenerio for taxes.  I would be nice to write-off part of a Prevost bus conversion as a business expense.  

The new BBQ Guru is awesome.  It will fit any pit you might think of getting later, and has all the features I would have wanted if I were making the controllers myself.  

5 Star Rating to Shotgun Fred at
//thebbqguru.com.

Bill

Jeff,

Love the apple...put a few drops of bourbon on top of each bisquette.   Don't know if it made a difference, but the Turkey sure tasted good!

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i></i>
Folks, I am moist!

Bill,
I certainly hope you are talking about the turkey[:D][}:)].

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Where was Chez on this one.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

I apologize. Fallin' down on the job again![;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

There was no slip up as an FYI, the turkey was that good!

Bill