Help..I think I fried it!!!

Started by westexasmoker, April 26, 2008, 04:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker,

Not sure how electrically inclined you are. If you have a volt meter, you could measure across the element. If you have 120 volts, then the element is cooked. If not, then the circuit is broken elsewhere.

When you say the power light is not on, are you referring to the light on the smoke generator, or the light on the slider panel? Even with the element cooked, the smoke generator light should be on. If not, then either the fuse or the wiring associated with the fuse has a problem.

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker

If you could step me through the measure across the element I'm game, I've got my voltmeter but all I've used it for is mostly automotive and check a circuit in the house.  The power light on the smoke gen is on, its the light on the slider panel thats not??

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

To my knowledge there is only one fuse on the OBS. There have been a couple of posts that mentioned the high limiter switch shorted out instead of tripping on some smokers.

To check that, follow Pensrock instructions on taking off the back cover (lots of screws). If it is burnt out Bradley will send you another one.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

Okie Dokie, fish is pulled and in the oven....Its time to disect it...I'll let ya know...

C

FLBentRider

So you just had the slider all the way over to the right and it got to 370 ? The only time mine got over 300 is when I had a puck stack in the bowl and they were all smoldering...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Yea 370 with the control all the way on high., I still don't understand if I fried it how I did'nt do it the first night and why the temp ramped up so fast..Now dumb question, the smoke gen supplies the power to the cabinet, for testing the element can I just plug the cab in, and about to pull the back off!

C

westexasmoker

Ok accross the element 0 volts which I assume is good, if it were shorted 120 right Arcs...so lets pull the back off   ;D  and look for fried wire, I did notice that the inside of cab is kinda swollen on the back side, for lack of a better term..So I don;t know, back in a bit!!!  Oh yea, on the bright side salmon in the oven, so lifes not to bad!!

C

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker,

Yes, you can plug the cabinet directly into an outlet and bypass the smoke generator. However, it is not fused if you do this.

I'd start at the smoke generator and make sure it is providing 120 volts to the heating element. Just stick your probes in the outlet of the smoke generator that feeds the box and you should see 120 volts AC. Since this is 120 volts and not 12 volts, be careful.

If you have 120 volts there (or decide to plug directly into an outlet). You should be able to see some voltage across the heating element. I would back off the slider a bit from the extreme right, since some have reported a dead spot. If no juice, I would take the back off and look for the thermal breaker. Since I've never done this, not sure what it looks like. To eliminate the thermal breaker as a problem, you can short it. If everything works, then the thermal breaker is the problem.

At the temperatures you reached, I would also be looking at wire connections to be sure nothing fried or came apart.

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker

Maybe I did this wrong, I plugged the cabinet in direct and verified I had 120 at the cord, turned the temp switch on and measured on both sides of the lamp(element) and got nothing...is this good or wiring prob..I guess I'm confused (Shocking   ;D) as far as the volts accross the element?

C

Arcs_n_Sparks

That would suggest the problem is not the element, since there is no voltage there. Need to find where the break in the circuit is....

westexasmoker

Should I be checking the cab, or the smoke gen first...or I guess probably both

Arcs_n_Sparks

Since you plugged in directly and still had nothing, that means the problem is in the cabinet. I'd remove the back and take a peak.... 

westexasmoker

Ok back's off wires look ok a bit of grease back there, not much maybe 1/2 tsp total and that includes the back plate, should I check for voltage at that plug through the wires??
C

Arcs_n_Sparks

I'd look across the thermal breaker. It should be closed, and that would mean no voltage. If you see 120 volts across it, then it is open.  If  that is the case, you could short it out and see if everything comes to life.