PID box placement

Started by tturaider, April 27, 2008, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

I am in the process of making a PID by following some instructions that I found on "Olds Place" it is way more easy than I ever expected.  I have one question tho....when u get finish the PID do you mount the box in which the PID is placed in on your smoker box or do you just set it on the smoker box or somewhere else?
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Mr Walleye

Most just set it either beside their Bradley or on top of the generator or tower. Although there are a few who have mounted the PID directly into their generator. I think the only disadvantage to this is for cold smoking unless you have a long enough TC. Here is a link to one that was installed in the generator.

http://www.n9adg.com/articles/bbq/bradley-smoker-temperature-controller.html

Here is a pic of my setup. You can see the PID in the first and third photo, just to the left of the smoker.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6075.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

3rensho

I just set mine on top the smoker and run the TC down thru the vent.  The two power cords run behind the smoker.  Others have mounted theirs in the smoke generator housing but, being sheet metal cutting challenged (d.h. total klutz), I just put mine in a hobby box and set it on top the smoker.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

tturaider

mr w that looks like a pretty cool setup!  I think I may just set my on the side just to make it easier.  thanks!!!

tturaider

3rensho i think thats what i may do as well.  How good does it work with the TC running down the vent hole instead of installed thru the back?

3rensho

Works like a champ.  I just run the cable thru the vent and use a twist tie to secure it on the rack near what I'm smoking.  Hasn't failed me yet.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

tturaider

I havent thought about doing it that way but I may have to try it.

tturaider

does everyone else just run their TC down thru the vent hole as well?  The instructions that Ive found for the PID dosent say how to install it so im thinking this may be how everyone does it?

Wildcat

I use the Maverick, the Thermoworks MT and the PID.  I use the vent and go through the door.  The door method seals well enough with the wires in it.  These days I put the meat probe through the vent when I am only doing 1 rack.  Through the door if more than 1 rack if I want to rotate racks.  Easier that way.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tturaider

So wild....im assuming that your TC from the PID isnt fixed thru the back of the meat cabinet(im not sure if anyone has installed it to their box or not....I guess I may have just dreamed that up)?  If not how and where do you place it in the box when using it?

Tiny Tim

I run all probes through the door, all the time.  Seals good enough that I don't see smoke.

I also have the PID sitting on the smoke generator next to the puck holding tower.

Wildcat

Quote from: tturaider on April 28, 2008, 07:49:50 AM
So wild....im assuming that your TC from the PID isnt fixed thru the back of the meat cabinet(im not sure if anyone has installed it to their box or not....I guess I may have just dreamed that up)?  If not how and where do you place it in the box when using it?

Mine is not installed.  I have the crocodile clip tc from thermoworks.  I think Mr Walleye has his installed to the cabinet wall.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tturaider

Thanks TT I may have to start doing it that way seems like it would be a whole lot easier esp with more that one rack.

tturaider

I may have to im/pm Mr Walleye to see how he did that and if he likes it that way.

westexasmoker

Just ordered my parts for the PID, I may have to track you down ttu and see how yours is put together...electrically challenged I am  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!