PID box placement

Started by tturaider, April 27, 2008, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

Sounds good westex.  I just got mine up and running.  Its on auto tune right now.  Been at it for about thirty min so far, does anyone know how long it takes to do the auto tune?
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

tturaider

Westtex just to let you know you are more than welcome to come by and take a look at my setup.  I followed a diagram off of Old's Place that works easy as well.  Here is the link if you want to use it....http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315

Like I said you are more than welcome to come take a look if you want to tho..

tturaider

Ok I let my PID run in auto mode for approx 3-4 hrs and it was still showin At does anyone know what is goin on with it?

Tiny Tim

I can't help ya on that problem, but I wanted to point out that the proper way to read the wiring diagram is Right to Left...it took me a little while to figure that one out.

Oh, just thinking about it, TTU, did you check your thermocouple to make sure it was wired with the right wires on positive and negative?  If it's backwards, the measured temp will drop as the ambient temp rises...might possibly cause a long autotune, but I don't know.

tturaider

TT I did check the TC and it worked just like it should.

tturaider

Ok I just finished my first smoke with my new PID and it was awesome.  The PID actually did make it a "set it and forget it" smoke.  Thanks for all of yalls help! Now the only decision is what to smoke next.... 8)

iceman

Quote from: tturaider on May 02, 2008, 12:08:41 PM
Ok I just finished my first smoke with my new PID and it was awesome.  The PID actually did make it a "set it and forget it" smoke.  Thanks for all of yalls help! Now the only decision is what to smoke next.... 8)

Way to go tturaider. Sure makes it smooth sailing when you can set and forget and go about other things while it does it own thing. "Drinking at a distance" is now possible!  :D ;D ;)

car54

Glad to hear that tturaider. The PID makes overnight smokes easy. Since I made my PID it opens up a lot of time that I do not have.

SET IT AND FORGET IT!

Brad

tturaider

It makes it a whole lot easier!!!!  I even went out to the bar last night till early in the AM and never worried what my Bradley temp was at. ;D

westexasmoker

Let my PID project begin...USPS just delivered my auber pid, time to hit radio shack and get my remaining parts, can't wait to get started!!!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

iceman

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 05, 2008, 11:19:33 AM
Let my PID project begin...USPS just delivered my auber pid, time to hit radio shack and get my remaining parts, can't wait to get started!!!!

C

Just like getting an extra birthday present. :D ;) Have fun!!! :)

yul

Hi Westexasmoker, You will be surprised how easy the PID assembly is, even I did it  :D and once you have used it you will realise why everyone raves about them. We have a great bunch of guys on this board who are always ready to give advice if you get stuck.
Brian. Montreal.

tturaider

good luck westex...if you need anything let me know

westexasmoker

Was'ant able to finish last night, kids came out, got the holes cut into the box wires stripped and connectors put on.  Oh crap it just dawned on me, I think I left my drill and jigsaw outside last night.....Yep I did and we had a nice thunderstorm blow through, Oh well such is life  ::)  Is the heatsink plan the way to go or not???? And what about some air vent holes (if my drill dries out) on the sides of the box??

C

westexasmoker

PID is assemblied, well at least wired up, powered up and the TC seems to be working..YEAH!!! And the house did'nt burn down and I'm still walking/talking, bummer to the wife she was already looking for the insurance policy   ;D...I'm still in a conudrum about the heatsink, if I need it or not or just some vent holes..and the only wire I had was 12 awg a bit on the heavy side and hard to work with, but thats all I had and it worked but stiff.  I reckon we'll sort this out and try the AT and go from there..Any other ideas out there??

C