PID box placement

Started by tturaider, April 27, 2008, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker,

What do you have the SSR mounted to, or is it just hanging in free space?

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker

Right now its just hanging, thats where I go with heatsink or no heatsink, I figured I'd just bolt it to the side with a sink or no sink??  I had originally planned on the heatsink, but after seeing the plug-an-play model for sale do I really need it???

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Arcs_n_Sparks

What would you bolt it to? If metal, that would probably be okay.

You could run it a bit and do a thumb test. If you cannot keep your thumb on it (watching out for A.C.), it is too hot and needs a heat sink.

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker

What do ya think about an air hole behind it, mounted on the side..I guess if its too hot heatsink and ther're cheap insurance...huh??
C

westexasmoker

So if I bolted it to a strip of metal (with air hole) that would be enough????  And I'm still thinking I need to swap out my gauge of wire??

C

Arcs_n_Sparks

Do you mean just let it hang in free air and have a hole in the box? I having a little trouble visualizing how you are building it (pause while I reach for my beverage...)

You're pushing at most 4 amps through it. The spec on the SSR has it dropping 1.6 volts, so that means at most 6.5 watts of heat dissipation. You should be okay.

Arcs_n_Sparks