Chilean Sea Bass??

Started by westexasmoker, April 25, 2008, 06:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Scored some beautiful fillets tonight at the store in the what I like to call the used meat section (marked down, because the date is getting close) 1.5 inch thick..Smoke then grill, just like the swordfish I had the other night, it looks to be a pretty firm fish, just never bought it before @ 15.99 a pound.  Whata ya'll think???

Thanks

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

I think Sea Bass is one of my favorite all-time fish.  Never had it smoked, but any fish worth it's fins, is worth smoking.  I've only been lucky to have been given some fillets one time and grilled them with a lime-cilantro sauce, but they were awesome.  I'd be interested to know how they come out especially with the white flesh of the sea bass.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Ontrack

Like the Duck, I'll have to say that sea bass would be one of my favorite fish, next to locally caught walleye and crappie. I've never smoked them, but they are delicious grilled or pan fried. At our local fresh seafood restaraunt, sea bass was the most expensive fish on the menu (I think it was about 42 bucks with a salad and a side or two).

huhwhatliar

I watched a program about the Chelean Sea Bass some time ago. It is not part of the bass family. They are really called Toothfish, and are caught in southern ocean waters near and around Antarctica. When they tried marketing it as Toothfish it did not sell very well so someone came up with the name Chealean Sea Bass.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

westexasmoker

Turned out very nice, a little heavy on the smoke (I had a brisket going with mesquite) but quite tasty!!

C

Smoking Duck

Great to hear, WTS.  How was the meat of the fish?  Really flaky?  I envy you on your fine selection. 

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Wasan't that flaky more dense...I guess because of the thickness of the fillet, closer to like swordfish or shark (Ooooo have not tried shark yet  ;D)  But a little pricey per pound for my taste, but I always check the marked down meat section  you never know what they have I've scored some awesome fillet mignon for half of the crazy 20.00 a lb at normal price, thank goodness for the vac sealer!!!

C