It's OFFICIAL...My Chez Bubba/Bradley is in mail!!

Started by Andy, December 01, 2004, 04:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Now I can add the smoker to the two grills, turkey frier, set of iron skillets, and assorted outdoor cooking stuff to my collection.[:D]

If I ain't grillin', fryin' or now smokin' it...I ain't eatin' it!![:D]

So...Kirk...gave me some good tips...

1) Clean the drip pan right after using it so it does not become a strainer
2) Clean the seal and the magnet on the door after each use

What other tips do you have for me on the Bradley?

So now after 30 years of cookin' I am evolvin'[:p] to smokin'

Going to the store to get some country style ribs(pork of course) some chicken leg quarters and a pound of bacon to test drive this thing this weekend!!!![:D]   A pound of bacon might take two racks...but it is pork fat[:D] and I like pork fat![:D]

SmokinLarry

What is the best thing to use to clean the seal and magnet??
I've used mine twice, once for butt and it turned out good - should a person inject it with something first?? This morning i cold smoked two bricks of cheddar, waiting for them to cool down so i can sample.

Larry

nsxbill

I use Windex saturating a spot on a towel, and then give it and the cabinet where the seal contacts a good wipe down while the meat is resting, safe inside. I leave the door open to allow it to air dry. A reminder...remove and clean the vent disk too.   It gets pretty gummy if you let it go!

I use the windex on the SS cabinet about once weekly, and then follow-up with a Stainless Steel cream cleaner.  You know...Wax on - Wax off!

Beer consumption helps while you wait for the meat.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

ANdy and Larry,

Welcome to the clan, it's a great place to hang.

When it comes to cleaning.  IMHO, don't try and do what I did when I first bought my BS.  I treid to make everything look brand new except for the inside of the smoker, simply put, just forget it, it is a loosing battle.

Dis whut I doo mawn,

Before I smoke I spray my racks with PAM or simular.  WalMart brand works fine.  This does help in the cleaning of them.

After smoking, the only thing I clean well is the racks.

As far as the V-pan, do your best and don't worry about the small stuff or the color of it.  I am telling you here, don't waist your time. Clean it so the grease and vents are open and any type stuff you can scrape off.  

As far as the catch tray; ditto same thing.  I clean  the grease(if any) and any loose stuff that it may have on it, forget the silver color~~~it's gone~~~don't worry about it.

As far as the bowl, clean like above.  You can scub it each time so it looks new, but what the hay, there is really no reason for this.

As far as the cabinet, thats where I take my time.  I start off with good HOT soapy water and I clean the seal and seal contact area very well.  I remove the screw from the vent and clean as much as I can of the "stuff" that might be underneith it and clean the "wheel" itself in the water.  I wipe out the bottom, then clean the out side.

The smoke generator I remove and clean off the ash-wood stuff and kind of shake any loose woodout of the box and clean it just like the cabinet, I wipe down the ramp and heater and the out outside.

One of the greatest things about the Bradley is how easy it is to clean and keep up.  Don't complicate it.

Larry, check out the butt threads around here.  Some folks do inject, but I never felt I needed to.  If you do the <u>Wrap~~Towl~~Cooler </u>thing, you will probably do more to improve your butt with that step than anything.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SmokinLarry

Mike
 Thanks alot youv'e been great help. I'll probably do a BUTT this weekend and will do the <b><u>WRAP--TOWEL--COOLER</u></b> thing.

Thanks Again
                Larry

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
Some folks do inject, but I never felt I needed to.  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My last few low and slows I have been injecting the meat with apple juice and Johnny Fleemans(its like Dales sauce) in a 10% solution to the weight of the meat with good results.  I have also seen a new FAB injection product at the Ingredient Store that some of the competition folks are now using.  I haven't tried it yet.  It contains MSG so I'm sure it helps the flavor.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

I would listen to BigSmokers last post.  He has done alot more butts than than I and has a lot more experiance.  Though I have never tried to inject, I would consider Jeff's sugestions seriously.  

My problem is I'm off of butts for a while and I am really getting into briskets.  I just love those slabs of bovine.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
My problem is I'm off of butts for a while and I am really getting into briskets.  I just love those slabs of bovine.

I inject those too[:D], try mixing some of your favorite rub in the injection as well[:p].  Try cooking your next brisket fat side down.  It is supposed to produce a juicyer(sp?) more consistant end product.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Someone posted up some instructions on Briskets that involved doing the smoke, Fat side up, and then after applying smoke for xx hours, turning fat side down, wrap in saran, put sauce on top and sealing up saran for the long slow cook in the BS.  Haven't tried this, can see it's merits, but tend to stick to tradititional methods leaving the fat on top and having it drip down. Dependent on the fat cap on the Brisket, which I tend to trim down a bit, I still get superior results fat up.

Anyone want to speak to the fat down saran method that has tried this?

Going to drive down to the AFB today to get 4 racks of ribs...they were so nice last time, I hope to repeat.  Going to take a look at the price on Prime Rib and brisket just to see if they carry it, and then compare prices at Costco/Sam's.

Most Prime Rib Roast require you check in to the finance department first prior to purchase. Bill  [:)]

Thanks.

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Most Prime Rib Roast require you check in to the finance department first prior to purchase.  [:)]

Whats a C note among friends anyway.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

A lot of good advice here. I use a good degreaser on the door seal etc.  However, I'm lazy. I remove everything that can be removed, and spray it all down with a quality oven cleaner--both sides. I do this on the cement outside and in direct sun light. An hour later I just hose it off~~! [;)]

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!