My first SMOKE....Tips Please...and Thanks

Started by Andy, December 01, 2004, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

I should get my bradley this weekend. So I will cure it and smoke something...Should be a high of 30 degrees here saturday and sunday...

SoI thought I would throw in a dozen or so Country Style Ribs and a half dozen Chicken Leg quarters. I bet I do not need the bacon for dripping...but I will toss in a dozen slices of bacon on the top rack.  My guess is that the fat from that will drip on the ribs...then all htat fat on the chicken...

Any ideas on how long it will take to cook?  I am guessing around 180 degrees for 5 or 6 hours but I have no idea...Smoke and Spice should be on the way...but will not have it before I smoke...my wife is holding it til  christmas day. I got a rub to try as well that I created that works good on beer can chicken....I do not plan on marinading the chicken..just strait cooking.

Thinking Hickory and apple mix of wood.  May be pecan and apple.

Any suggestions?   Give me all the suggestions you got...I am open to them.

nsxbill

The books you have purchased will help guide you.  Remember, irregardless how much you want to open the door, don't!  For the first smoke, I would not even let the smoker exceed the temp of 210°.  Don't be in a hurry.  Don't mop!  You can sauce them up later!  After the smoking part is finished(4 hrs), open door, rotate shelves change the water and shut the door for another eight hours.. Leave the smoke generator on, even when you are through smoking.

Want to try something quick and easy?  Big plastic bag.  Seperate one for chicken and pork.  Throw in the meat.  Marinate with Wishbone Italian for 24 hours in refer.  Take out of refer.  Let sit until about room temp.  Add a little of your favorite rub.  

Plan on about  8-10 hours total time in the smoker.   Remember you are not in a hurry.  

Enjoy,

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

Bill is correct here.  About 200 for ribs.  Hold on a minute here.  Don't judge everything with your first smoke.  The ribs may or may not come out to your liking.  I don't usually suggest ribs for the first time, sometimes you need to get a little getting use to the smoker before ribs start coming out good.  Just a thought, not a downer but be open minded about the end result.

Chicken.  Great Choice.  Cook till an internal of 165.  About 161 or so, open the vent to about 3/4 and turn up the heat all the way and cook till 165.  This will give a better skin.

About the out side temp.  Just try and keep the wind off of it and you will do fine.

My choice for wood.  Straight up Apple or Pecan.  See what each wood brings by them selves then try and mix.  Personaly, stay away from Mesquite, it's the devil's wood.

Understand this is just my "Jaded" opinion.  The thing with smoking is that no one does it the same way, but we all have fun.  There is some "wrong" ways of doing things but the list is much shorter than the "right" ways. Bottom line have fun and make freinds.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Bottom line have fun and make freinds.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Give this man the summarial post of the year![8D][:)][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?