New PID on the Market- Plug and Play

Started by lvigil, May 02, 2008, 12:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Milehi

Sounds like you have it pretty close.

With your current settings, you could step through them and write them all down so that you can return to these settings manually. This way you could try an auto tune if you wanted.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Lefty_Smoker

Here is a link to yet another PID available on ebay.  this one says it is ideal for cold smoking.   Temps can be set from -30F - 220F.  This one runs $99.99 plus shipping. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ranco-ETC-PreWired-Bradley-Smoker-Temperature-Control_W0QQitemZ280225761730QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20723QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

matwell

Hey Guys
I just got my PID from Auber Instruments and I was wondering has anyone tested it on the DBS and if so where do you plug it in. I hope this is not a dumb question but I am not mechanically inclined. If anyone can fill me in on the connection layout it would be greatly appreciated. Which plug with the Bradley would I be eliminating? I am assuming it would be connection 2 according to the Bradley manual.

gscheig

I wonder if this is a true PID or some other type of controller?

Quote from: Lefty_Smoker on May 12, 2008, 11:32:33 AM
Here is a link to yet another PID available on ebay.  this one says it is ideal for cold smoking.   Temps can be set from -30F - 220F.  This one runs $99.99 plus shipping. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ranco-ETC-PreWired-Bradley-Smoker-Temperature-Control_W0QQitemZ280225761730QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20723QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mr Walleye

Matwell

On you DBS you have a short power cord running from your generator to your tower. You basically remove this cord. The PID is plugged directly into the wall outlet (the generator power cord is also plugged into the wall outlet), then the tower is plugged into the PID. Hopefully I didn't confuse you.

Mike

PS
You are right. I just checked the manual on the Bradley site and it is labeled #2. You want to take the power from the wall outlet through the PID, then into the tower. Nothing would be plugged into the generator side of the #2 cord.

Pharmnub

Re: New PID on the Market- Plug and Play
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 11:32:33 am » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a newbie here and will soon be getting my own OBS. I have been doing a lot of research and it looks like this does not use the PID set-up. As I said I don't have a Bradley Smoker yet but I am thinking that this controller would not be much different then the DBS as it does not seem to use the PID program.

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: gscheig on May 12, 2008, 08:31:30 PM
I wonder if this is a true PID or some other type of controller?

I use the ranco etc to control my smoker.
you can even use it as an internal meat probe.

The sensor is electronic not capillary.... so it is very flexible and versatile.

I have mine wired to shut the smoker off when the desired internal temp of the meat or sausage is reached. 

soylent green is people

westexasmoker

All I can say is WOW...I had enough trouble putting together my PID   :o  Thats quite impressive!!
Welcome T B S

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

matwell

walleye

Thanks for the info. I ordered a flat cut brisket today from my butcher and have plans to smoke it this weekend. My new gadget will be put to good use. Wish me luck!

Mr Walleye

Good luck Matwell!

Have fun and maybe even a couple of "sodas" as well!  ;)

Hi TBS and welcome to the forum. You did a great job on your smoker!  8)

Did you build the cabinet from scratch or was that a food warmer cart? I'm also curious what you are using for a heat source?

Mike

West Coast Sausage Maker

Have fun and maybe even a couple of "sodas" as well!  ;)

Hi TBS and welcome to the forum. You did a great job on your smoker!  8)

Did you build the cabinet from scratch or was that a food warmer cart? I'm also curious what you are using for a heat source?

Mike
[/quote]

Thanks Mr Walleye

The cabinet is actualy a used industrial blast freezer that I scooped from a bakery that went banko.   The best thing about this setup is that it has a recirculating fan that keeps every square inch of this (bad ass Bradley) evenly heated and smoked. It holds 50lbs of Jerky or 100lbs of whole hams or 200 llbs sausage.

You could hang a whole pig inside and smoke it.

here is a pic of seven Pork Butts (cottage hams) I did the other day

It is so efficient it uses 1X1000watt hotplate for heat. 
and Bradley digital generator for smoke

It will smoke 100lbs of bacon in 8 hours

To get back on topic...... The PID refered to in previous posts uses a capilary tube.. One kink in the line and good bye PID

The Ranco ETC on the other hand uses a waterproof Thermister (sensor) on an eight foot flexilbe wire.
You can find them on ebay

I got mine from this Bradley Dealer

soylent green is people

Wildcat

That is much more than I will ever need, but I am very impressed.  Nice job.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Very impressive TBS!

I love you capacity for sausage!  ;)

I want to build something larger at some point but I have haven't came across a cabinet to use as of yet. Sooner or later I will, or build it from scratch.

Mike

Arcs_n_Sparks

T B S,

Torture is prohibited on the boards here.....   :D

Great stuff!!!

Arcs_n_Sparks

andytony

Ranco ETC is not a PID controller. It is a on/off controller that is basiclly the same as the Bradley Digital controller. Here is the data sheet
http://www.rancoetc.com/pdf/ranco_etc.pdf