New PID on the Market- Plug and Play

Started by lvigil, May 02, 2008, 12:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 15, 2008, 06:21:03 PM
Ok, my first mission is to bypass the DBS 9:40 limit, I know the Auber will do that and they claim a plug and play install.
Which one of these thingies can monitor cabinet temp and also meat temp to shut down the thing when meat reaches temp?
I understand that they will all keep cabinet temp better than Bradley can, but the more reading I do, the more confused I get!
Digiq/Raptor says I need a fan, but nothing directed to a bradley install.
As toker1313 states; no fan is needed for the electrical smoker hookup.

Here is the link to the setups for the electrical smokers:
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_electric_smokers.asp

Also if you read the review on the NakedWhiz.com, keep in mind that was the DigiQ II being tested on a wood/charcoal pit/smoker. With the electrical smoker the temperature control is much tighter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

snowmon

So which one would be better, a Digiq/Raptor or this new plug and play PID?

Toker

Digiq/Raptor or even a procom 4 with a raptor.

snowmon

Mr Walleye

Smowmon

The DigiQ/Raptor is sort of the top end of the control devices. It does more than the PID. Does things like ramp temps (although some PID's are capable of this), has 2 temp probes, one for the cabinet and one for the meat, and it will continuously learn how to control you smoker. A typical PID, like the prebuilt ones that are discussed in this thread, are tuned to your smoker when you run the auto tune, they have 1 prob for the cabinet and usually don't have any ramp feature.

If you follow the link Habs posted above and especially read the review he spke about, it will do a lot better job of explaining exactly what it's capable of.

I have a PID that I built and it works very well. I'm sure it's very comparable to the prebuilt ones.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HCT

Great thread, lot's of info I didn't know or didn't understand.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

snowmon

I not real sure what you mean by temp ramping Mr. Walleye.

FLBentRider

My understanding of ramping is that you can program it to say, 1 hour @ one temp, then another hour at a different temp, etc...

If you purchased the auber plau-and-play "programmable" (the $155.00 one) unit, then yours will do that.

It is useful for Sausage and some salmon recipes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

snowmon

Thats what I thought. Just wanted to make sure.  It's going to take forever to learn the the smokers langauge not to think of trying to cook with one. Thanks again

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

snowmon

Quote from: Mr Walleye on July 11, 2008, 06:09:15 AM
Smowmon

The DigiQ/Raptor is sort of the top end of the control devices. It does more than the PID. Does things like ramp temps (although some PID's are capable of this), has 2 temp probes, one for the cabinet and one for the meat, and it will continuously learn how to control you smoker. A typical PID, like the prebuilt ones that are discussed in this thread, are tuned to your smoker when you run the auto tune, they have 1 prob for the cabinet and usually don't have any ramp feature.

If you follow the link Habs posted above and especially read the review he spke about, it will do a lot better job of explaining exactly what it's capable of.

I have a PID that I built and it works very well. I'm sure it's very comparable to the prebuilt ones.

Mike

Is the DigiQ/Raptor that is mentioned here the same as the DigiQ ll and the power raptor unit combined. If it is I was wandering if the Power Raptor unit will work on a 2008 Bradley because the Power Raptor Unit says it only works on pre 2007 models, also are these two seperate items combined the same as the competitors package?

Mr Walleye

I believe the ramp feature on the DigiQ is really a Ramp Down feature. I believe the way it works is you could start a butt smoke at say 250 degrees with a target temp of 190. When the DigiQ senses you are starting to get close, it ramps the cabinet temp down. I believe this happens until it just holds at the correct temp.

I don't have one so hopefully someone will confirm this. This was just what I understood from the material I have read on it.

Mike

Mr Walleye

Quote from: snowmon on July 12, 2008, 11:59:59 AM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on July 11, 2008, 06:09:15 AM
Smowmon

Mike

Is the DigiQ/Raptor that is mentioned here the same as the DigiQ ll and the power raptor unit combined. If it is I was wandering if the Power Raptor unit will work on a 2008 Bradley because the Power Raptor Unit says it only works on pre 2007 models, also are these two seperate items combined the same as the competitors package?

The DigiQ/Raptor will work with all Bradley models. It's just a question of if you need a different adaptor to plug it in.

The Power Raptor is the part of the unit that your main heater is connected to. Then the Power Raptor is controlled by the DigiQ or the Competitor. The DigiQ or Competitor is the "brains" behind the control.

To hook up any of the BBQ Guru products to any electric smoker you need the Power Raptor. Then you control the Power Raptor with a number of different controls like the DigiQ.

Hope that helps

Mike

manderso

I got one of the programable plug and play PID's in June from Auberins.  I have used it about a dozen times.  It is very accurate and maintains a constant temperature within 1-2 degrees.  Great product, although I thought it to be a little pricey, especially the $15 shipping fee for less than 2 lbs. of freight.  Works great though.  I'm glad I have it.

Oldman

Quote from: manderso on August 25, 2008, 08:02:27 AM
I got one of the programable plug and play PID's in June from Auberins.  I have used it about a dozen times.  It is very accurate and maintains a constant temperature within 1-2 degrees.  Great product, although I thought it to be a little pricey, especially the $15 shipping fee for less than 2 lbs. of freight.  Works great though.  I'm glad I have it.

Let me say that there are PID controllers and then there are PID controllers.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!