Is my Maverick working correctly?

Started by Kurt, April 30, 2008, 06:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt

I finally received my new maverick ET-73 today and couldn't wait to try it. I put some spare ribs, St Louis style, on the Bradley, 4 rack Digital, and set it to smoke for 3 hrs and set the oven at 220. I clipped the box probe onto the second rack up from the bottom towards the front of the rack. I put the two racks of ribs on the second and third racks from the top. The Maverick is reading the box temp hotter than the bradley is saying. The bradley might say 215 and the probe is saying 222 or close to that. And wow, talk about temp fluctuations. Set at 210, the box temp will climb to 225 and drop to 190. Does it sound like my Maverick is working right. I thought the bradley would read less then what the probe would. Going to call the Guru tomorrow about the Digique/Raptor or something like that.

By the way, does that thing just plug into the Bradley and do I still need the Maverick et-73 with it? Sorry I got so long winded. Thanks for any answers a head of time.

Smoking Duck

Kurt,
There are more learned folks on here than I, but I would trust the Maverick versus the Bradley.  Additionally, I would hook the Maverick at the same approximate height where my lowest meat was.  I assume that is where you have it when you say you have it on the second rack from the bottom and the meat on the second and third from the top as there are only 4 racks in your DBS.  Yes, you can expect some temp fluctuations, even with the Digital.  I would definitely inquire about a PID of some sort to get that out of the equation.

So, the short anser is trust the Maverick over the Bradley.....sorry it took so long to get there.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

tturaider

Kurt let me say welcome.  First of all I am by now way a pro on this site.  There are many on here that are and can answer your question better than I can.  Also, I personaly dont have a digital but I can tell you what I have read about them on this site.  If I were in your shoes I would prob trust my Maverick more than I would the built in digital.  I have read that the digital varies in temperatures and goes up and down with the temp, but just what ive read nothing ive had personal knowledge of.  But, dont worry tho because one of the pros on here will chime in and answer your questions.  Once again welcome.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

tturaider

Sorry Duck didnt mean to say the same thing you must of posted while I was typing (ok pecking). ;D

Smoking Duck

No problem TT.  When two rookies say it, it must be right  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

tturaider

Haha....Ill go with that untill someone else tells us we are wrong!!

Wildcat

Kurt.  The variance between the smoker and the Maverick is probably due to location of each.  The higher the meat temp gets, the closer the readings will be.  You can test the accuracy of your maverick easy enough.  Two methods: 1 - the boiling water test and 2 - The ice test. 

With the ice test, put some ice in a glass and put enough water to float the ice.  Put your probe in and gently stir until you have a reading.

More important is to do the boiling water test.  Go to Thermoworks.com and on that site you will find a place that will give you the correct temperature for your area based on barametric preasure and elivation.  You will have to provide some information to obtain this information.  Then bring a container of water to boil and insert probe without touching anything but water.  My Maverick is off by approximately 1 degree.

Hope this helps.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Kurt

It all helps and thanks a ton. I was reading a very good thread about the DigiQII posted by Habs a while back. I think I will call that place tomorrow, after turkey hunting of course, and inquire about buying one. I noticed that the DigiQII controls the heating element on the bradley. Do you have to turn off the generator when using that or leave it on as I do now without it?

Mr Walleye

Kurt

Your Maverick is more reliable than the DBS. You will see a temp fluctuation during a smoke with the DBS. It will be greater, earlier in the smoke and become slightly tighter as the meat comes to temp. These temp fluctuations really don't impact anything such as butts or ribs, unless your trying to do something like sausage or jerky. I'm kinda anal about it so I did build a PID which works quit well. If I was doing it again I would probably go with the DigiQ/Raptor.

Your last question about the DigiQ/Raptor, you plug the DigiQ/Raptor into a wall outlet and into the tower heater. The smoke generator is also plugged into the wall outlet. So, by it being powered this way you can setup the DigiQ to a specific temp, have the generator run for a specified amount of time then shut off, all while not having the 9 hour 40 minute restriction the DBS is noted for.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

In addition to what everybody else has said, I have a comment on the fluctuations (190-230 when set at 220).  Just for laughs, set your kitchen oven to 220 with the box probe in it and see what the results are.  I would guess that you're going to have about the same amount of temp swing over a couple of hours....unless you've got some extra mass in there that's going to hold heat for you, similar to how your Bradley will act as your meat approaches final temp.

Kurt

Tiny, the oven is for the wife, off limits to me. Don't tell I said that. Thanks for the replys. I ordered my DigiQ/Raptor today. Supposed to be here in 3 working days. Wildcat, I looked for that link at thermoworks.com and couldn't find it. If you know where or what to click on once you get to the web site, could you let me know. Thanks. No turkey this morning, up at 3:30 am for not.

Wildcat

Kurt,

Here is the link to their home page:  http://www.thermoworks.com/index.html

About half way down the page you will see a gift box and next to it it says "ThermoWorks Gift Guide"  Just above that and on the right side you will see the Boiling Water link.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

If you can't locate the one on Thermoworks, here is a link to the one on the Virtual Bullet. Scroll down about half the page.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/boilingpoint.html

Also the USDA/FSIS suggest you use distilled water when using the boiling water calculation, but it's not necessary. If you have distilled you should use it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kurt

Thanks both of you. I will do the test to make sure my Maverick is working right. Thanks again and can't wait to get my DigiQ II/Raptor and that damn turkey thats been hounding me all spring!