Storing BDS

Started by SmokinNYC, May 05, 2008, 12:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinNYC

I love cooking and just bought a DBS to try smoking. I was reassured to find so many helpful and knowledgable people in this forum. I live in NYC and do not have any enclosed space or shed. Is it okay to keep the unit in my backyard with the Bradley cover?

brotheryyy

Im in south florida, i leave my unit outside on a couple of crates so water runoff is not a problem, unit stays dry, not a sign of rust. The cover helps though mine is not a bradley cover, it is well insulated to absorb humidity. Of course the digital part comes inside.

West Coast Kansan

Welcome to SmokinNYC !

Many here keep the unit outside with Minimal protection without a problem.  Draw the string nice and tight below the unit if you can or most any tarp will do the trick.  As suggested above bringing the Smoke Generator inside can be easily accompolished and will certainly give you extra confidence. ;)

Many here who live in the far North bring the SG into a heated space when it is really, really cold - below zero F ( like 20 or 40 below) the unit needs a little heat to loosen up ;D.

Hope you enjoy the unit - let us know how it goes.  :D 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I live about 90 miles north of you. I've had mine more than 3.5 years, and it's been outside 24/7 with just the Bradley cover, and I haven't had any weather related problems with the smoker. Just a word of caution, the new 4 rack covers don't provide as much protection as the old ones. So if you have a 4 rack model, get the cover that is made for the 6 rack. It will provide better protections.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Gotta second Habs on this one.  I have a 6 rack cover over my 4 rack DBS and it works like a charm.  I do bring my smoke generator in when it's gonna be below freezing.  My garage is heated, so no problems there.  I know some who will put them in the 18 gallon plastic totes and keep them in their homes or apartments with no worry of smoke smell.

Welcome to the site, SmokingInNYC.  This place is as you have stated.....a great wealth of information and a whole bunch of friendly people.  You will enjoy yourself here and never be afraid to ask any questions.....I've already asked all the dumb ones, so no need to worry there  ;D

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

brotheryyy

When I first got mine, i used to bring her in religiously and store it in a hallway closet. The kids were always asking why the house constantly smelled like hotdogs?

Smoking Duck

Quote from: brotheryyy on May 06, 2008, 04:35:42 AM
When I first got mine, i used to bring her in religiously and store it in a hallway closet. The kids were always asking why the house constantly smelled like hotdogs?

I did that for a while to.  Told the kids to make sure they found them.  Had them searching for hours while I laid on the couch and drank beer.  That was a good day  :D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

SmokinNYC

Thanks for the warm welcome and great advice. My cover is back-orderered so I am hoping that I can call the vendor today and change it to the 6-rack cover. I will make sure I get the digital unit inside before rain or snow.

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum SmokinNYC,

While I've not had my unit for very long, little over a month, its outside also 24/7 lashed down on a metal cart with tarp covering it for protection and so far we've survived 60 mph dust storm's (made one heck of ham during one of those  ;D)  and last night one heck of thunderstom.  I do think in the winter time (if you can call what we have as a winter here in west texas) that I'll bring my SG indoors.

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

I leave ours out 24/7 but we don't know what rain? is...although it did rain kittens and puppies one day...and fried the pool motor...(that was a nice $600 problem) but I digress...ours sits out with the cover on and it's been fine...we have an OBS 4 rack...