15 Pounds of Pork Loin and Rain in the forecast

Started by bigbill, April 29, 2008, 07:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbill

I've been a forum lurker here for 3 years, and I've gotten (what I feel like) a ton of knowledge and recipes from this site, but I've never had the need to post any questions until now.

My daughter's birthday is Saturday, and I really wanted to use the smoker for the main course for the 35 guests - unfortunately, showers are in the forecast and I haven't used the smoker in the rain yet.  So I have 2 tiers of questions:

1st, the food:  Boneless pork loin is on sale this week so I picked up 15 pounds.  I've seen a couple of recipes, but all I really wanted to do was use one of the good rubs posted on this site.  So my questions regarding this are: Does a boneless pork loin need to be brined?  If so, what is a good brine recipe for it?  Also, what is a good estimate of time for 15 pounds of pork loin to cook to 150?  Is FTC needed?

2nd, the possible rain:  Is it ok for the BS to get wet while smoking?  If I just cover the smoke box, is that ok, or does the whole unit need to be covered?

Any assistance the experts here can provide is greatly appreciated!!!

Habanero Smoker

Hi bigbill;
Welcome to the forum.

You can brine, but I find if you keep the internal temperature between 145-150° F you don't need to brine. If you need to brine there are several brines on this board, and also the recipe site. For pork I would use one of the maple or apple flavored brines. Seasoning that go well with poultry will go well with pork. The only thing I would change with some of the brines is to keep the salt to 8 ounces (1 cup of Morton's Kosher) and the brine times to 4-8 hours.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

If you don't have a shelter it is not advisable to smoke during times when it is raining. I have often got caught in a middle of a smoke, with rain showers and have made it through by just covering the smoke generator and covering the vent with a foil pan that was raised to let smoke, moisture and heat to escape from the smoker. But those were only showers that past through quickly.

If you know it is going to rain, you can begin to rig up a temporary type of structure that you can hang plastic over to protect the smoker from all sides and will allow smoke to escape; have one side that can remain open most of the time, but can be closed if it starts raining too hard. I have used 2x2 to construct an "A" frame structure to hang plastic over. Another thing that you can do when the weather is still good, is apply the smoke 1-3 days early, wrap tightly in plastic, refrigerate; then finish the loins in the oven on the day of the event.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Last time I was in Florida...the moment I brought out the food to load the smoker...the skies freakin opened up...rigged a big golf umbrella over the smoker and put it on a cart (like the kind you move big boxes...not a dolly...a 4 wheel job...or just an outdoor end table...maybe put a thick towel down on the glass/plastic) to keep both units off of the ground...worked fine. Just a suggestion?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: La Quinta on April 29, 2008, 05:15:50 PM
Last time I was in Florida...the moment I brought out the food to load the smoker...the skies freakin opened up...rigged a big golf umbrella over the smoker and put it on a cart (like the kind you move big boxes...not a dolly...a 4 wheel job...or just an outdoor end table...maybe put a thick towel down on the glass/plastic) to keep both units off of the ground...worked fine. Just a suggestion?

That's a good idea. A really quick fit for an emergency.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

I just move the smoker inside the house......sure, the little lady whines about the smoke for a while, but when she's shoveling the end product in her mouth like that ghost from Ghostbusters, she doesn't have the time or oxygen to complain as much  ;D

I find if it rains, I just move it into the garage and leave the doors open enough for the smoke to escape.....I may have some lingering smell of the smoke, but I think that's a good thing..........

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

bigbill

Hab Smoker - I am going to take your suggestion and put together a simple "shelter" for the smoker just as you say.

If I don't brine, is there a big risk that the loin will be too dry?  How many bisquettes should I use?  Also, I have hickory and apple, can they be mixed or should it just be one type?

Habanero Smoker

At a temperature of 145-150° it will be moist, but brining will give it additional moisture and flavor. Amount of smoke is a personal taste. I prefer a light smoke on loin, and will only apply 2 hours (6 bisquettes). Apple will be good, and hickory can also be used, if you prefer a stronger smoke flavor. If I were to mix the two I would use 1 hickory to 2 apple.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Consiglieri

Duck:  hard to watch the TV with all that smoke.  Course, if you've been enjoying the typical smoke-related adult beverages too, the TV will be fuzzy anyway. 
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Tom Hagen:  I only watch sappy chick flicks when I'm smoking inside the house....this way, I have an excuse for crying and still be able to keep up my manly reputation  8)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

SDuck...you are a sensitive guy aren't ya...? Women love that!! But...you can't move the smoker in the house man...I'm so with your wife on that one...