update on heater mode after 10 smokes 8 to 10 hrs each

Started by beefmann, May 05, 2008, 06:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

carnie1

Pretty sure you can get then at Grainger, or try Johnstone supply at 25th and Dearborn st

love the smoke

Graingers
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4E266

Stainless Steel Finned Strip Heater, Voltage Rating 120 Volts, Power Rating 900 Watts, Overall Length 12 Inches, Mounting Dimension 11 Inches
Grainger Item #   4E266   
Price (ea.)   $45.25    
Brand   VULCAN    
Mfr. Model #   OSF1512-900A   
Ship Qty.     1   
Sell Qty. (Will-Call)     1   
Ship Weight (lbs.)   1.25   
Usually Ships**     Today

Catalog Page No.   3852   

LTS

beefmann

hey all,

after a year after making the 900 watt heater mod, over 700 hours of smoking / cooking and several weekends of smoking at a hotel  the 900 watt heater mod was the best move i have ever made with the smoker...with no problems... I would recomend it to any one.

only one note...

KEEP IT CLEAN... KEEP IT CLEAN ... KEEP IT CLEAN

beef

starship

Wow, that's a lot of hours!

I have smoked 3 or 4 times post my 900W heater, and it works great!  Temps are a little uneven top to bottom, but I am running NO FAN at this time. Plan to install the Granger fan above the heater and V Pan location.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

beefmann

star,

Glad to hear about your mod working as good as it does and your right about the temp difference .. and that is why i have a blower in mine

Beef

DrtiBird

Has anyone done the mod on a BDS?

I have the 900w heater, but was hesitant installing it.  Not sure if the electronics would stand the extra load.  May have to use a relay and separate power.
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

beefmann

look at the specs of the controller,, if it is  rated at 120  volts . 10 amps or higher your safe. also directly wire from the controller to the heater bypassing the over temp on the back of the smoker as the heater will eventually burn it up. also if you havea slide controll on the front dont use it as  the digital controll will handle the heater

Beef

DrtiBird

Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

Cowbell

Quote from: beefmann on April 12, 2009, 06:48:29 PM
look at the specs of the controller,, if it is  rated at 120  volts . 10 amps or higher your safe. also directly wire from the controller to the heater bypassing the over temp on the back of the smoker as the heater will eventually burn it up. also if you havea slide controll on the front dont use it as  the digital controll will handle the heater

Beef

Beef,  I set-up my 900 watt heater, and I think I burned out my temp sensor from what you said???  Can you tell me a way to diagnose it?  This thing was working great after about 3 runs (5-8 hours each run).  I don't have a PID.  Is there a different way to bypass???  Do I need a PID???
Thanks for your help!

beefmann

Quote from: Cowbell on September 04, 2016, 09:35:18 PM
Quote from: beefmann on April 12, 2009, 06:48:29 PM

Beef

Beef,  I set-up my 900 watt heater, and I think I burned out my temp sensor from what you said???  Can you tell me a way to diagnose it?  This thing was working great after about 3 runs (5-8 hours each run).  I don't have a PID.  Is there a different way to bypass???  Do I need a PID???
Thanks for your help!

plug the tower directly into an outlet... " Not through the smoke generator"  and see if the element warms up.. if not .. check to see if you  have any power at the element,... if  no power there .. it could be the temp sensor or the fuse able link on the back of the unit...

if the heater does heat up with the tower directly plug into the  outlet then the  issue is inside the smoke generator... check the  fuse and for  loose connections...

if you  find any bad items .. replace as necessary

yes i do recommend a pid with the use of a 900 watt element.. along with a ssr that can handle the load of the element.. typically a 25 amp ssr would do,,, or you  can buy one prebuilt that can handle 1800 watts and your good to go