update on heater mode after 10 smokes 8 to 10 hrs each

Started by beefmann, May 05, 2008, 06:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

hey all just an update on the 900 watt heater mod. all is working  with no problems and plenty of  heat to spare been cooking at 220 f and  did push  the heat to  350 once on chicken to crispen the skin with no problem. No problems with any connections , over heating of wiring or controlls.

this is something i would recomend to any one who wants a faster  recovery on heat in the box or just additional heat capicity.

on my next smoke i am plaanning to add lava rock in the bottom of the smoker and get away  from the v tray.

as for the problems with the dripping onto the heater I think it  caaan be a good item to have happin it adds flavor to the meat  cooking and caan be  easily cleaned with a stramer like the stanley  steamer  or  stream  shark ...  takes longer to get the water to steam then to clean...ps might  have some  greasy  rags when you  get  done but  oooohhh  the  flavor

Gizmo

Thanks for the update Beefmann.  Makes me wonder why Bradley didn't push up the capacity on their element on their unit? 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

Quoteproblems with the dripping onto the heater

900 watt heater mode sounds good beefmann.  :)

Might be worth bearing in mind there have been a couple of reported fires in BS's here on the forum, seem to remember Chez Bubba saying they were due to inverted / missing "V" pans!  :o
Manxman

beefmann

I could understand that a fire  could arise from a missing v pan that helps protect the heater,  it is my opinion  that a dirty heater could lead to the fire. only thing i can say  is KEEP THE HEATER  CLEAN! !  it doesent take that  long to clean  it.

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: manxman on May 06, 2008, 01:07:21 AM
Quoteproblems with the dripping onto the heater

900 watt heater mode sounds good beefmann.  :)

Might be worth bearing in mind there have been a couple of reported fires in BS's here on the forum, seem to remember Chez Bubba saying they were due to inverted / missing "V" pans!  :o

Fat dripping on a hot burner makes be think grease fire too!  :'(

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

KyNola

Beefmann,
I wish you very well but that thing just scares the hell out of me.  Please keep us posted on your success.

KyNola

bigredsmoker

Beefman, you must be related to Tim "The Toolman" Taylor. Hope you don't end up in the hospital like he did on many ocassions. ;D ;D

beefmann

RRRR RRRR RRRR  ... more power more power.... next time flame thrower to make a turker a crispy critter

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Hooked on smoke

I think just using a finned heating element in the same place as the original would still keep the heater under the drip pan , but still work better because you would heat the air and cause a convection current that would slowly turn the air over, versus the infrared one that heats the metal. I thought I would try it one day, right now my oven is too new, and I dont want to ruin it, yet.

beefmann

hooked,

when you are ready for the upgrade to a finned  heater... DO IT along  with a PID  controller  to controll the heat you would be happy that you  did... the PID  controlles  the tempture and with the 900 watt  finned  it has typically has a 5 to 8 degree swing

starship

Hooked on Smoke,

That's my plans now, I have the 900w heater and hardware on my desk.  I plan to install where the stock heater was, use the V pan, and check temps at 3 levels to see if all is well, or do I need a fan.  I have a Pid controller, and a dual probe Maverick.

I'll feed back next week sometime.
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

West Coast Kansan

The heater will be nice for speed in putting out heat when it is called upon.  The PID will call for heat on a more timely basis than the standard control scheme.  The fan will move the air around inside the tower (may help use the heat off the back of the tower better) but the actual cooking temp will still be influenced by the load arrangement / the amount of meat - mass, the temp of the mass and exactly where the temps are taken relative to all of the above.

I still have not taken the modification plunge... let us know how it goes and just how much of a difference it makes.  I seem to be looking for an excuse but having trouble justify the fun  ::)

Caneyscud

My kinda guy - more power  rrrrr....rrrrrr.....rrrrrr

I have yet to do the mod myself yet.  Have the parts but not the time.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

love the smoke

I did the heater upgrade but left the drip tray intact

LTS