2 input PID

Started by FLBentRider, May 08, 2008, 10:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Has anyone explored building a PID that could also monitor the food temp ?

My thought was that once the desired internal temp was reached, you could change the set temp to a "hold" temp. and maybe set off an alarm that sounds like a dinner bell.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Arcs_n_Sparks

FLBentRider,

This has been discussed: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6779.msg66405#msg66405

Been thinking of modifying my design to accommodate some of these desires, but haven't had the time to play with it.

Arcs_n_Sparks

FLBentRider

Thanks,
I have been googling around, and it seems there are controllers that will do it, they are just $$$, as was stated in the other thread. The "plug and play" programmable auber PID that was on ebay seemed like it will do the steps, but In order to shut down the box or put it at a hold temp based on the meat temp will require a 2-input controller ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Arcs_n_Sparks

Yes, to do what you say will require a second probe and a controller that would switch modes when it hits a setpoint.

Here is a thread related to my prototype: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2849.0

That rats nest has been replaced by two printed circuit boards, but still requires hand wiring between the main board and display board. Easy to add a second probe to the design. Current BOM is $53, but does not include the probe (I use the ET-73 probe) or labor to assemble. All this talk may push me forward on a new design. I need something to avoid the usual "Honey DOs" on the weekends...  :D

Arcs_n_Sparks