Burnt wood or savory smoked smell?

Started by greahound, May 24, 2008, 05:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greahound

I just got this electric smoker. My first time smoking I hoping for that great BBQ smoked smell. It smelled like burnt wood.
Is that normal? After I had my turkey breast in there for 2 hours, I hope to smell something similar to Sony's or Woody's bbq. You know, that great smoked smell.

Is this burnt wood smell normal with an electric smoker?

dick621

.....did you have water in the bowl to catch the pucks when they were pushed off after the 20 minute burn time ?  Also was a new puck pushed onto the burner every 20 minutes?  Either one of these could cause the pucks to burn to long and give off the burnt smell.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

westexasmoker

Is this your first smoke and if so did you season your smoker before use?

c
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum greahound!

Which type of wood did you use ? That should have been 6 pucks worth. As dick621 stated, if the pucks are not advancing, then they will burn too long and do that. You might also want to rest the turkey wrapped in plastic wrap for a day or two. That will tend to "mellow" the smoke taste.

Was the surface of the turkey really dark ? Did you leave the skin on or remove it. Poultry can absorb a good amount of smoke in a short time.

It also depends alot on individual taste. One person may like 2 hours of mesquite or Hickory (a very strong smoke), while someone else 1 hour of alder (much lighter smoke)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

greahound

Thanks for the replies guys!

I did not season the smoker first, although, I did let it smoke about 40 min. first before adding the turkey.
They seemed to be about 20 min each and I had the small, standard bowl that comes with the unit filled with water.
They looked burnt (they meaning the pucks). I used Mesquite and watched them pretty carefully. It seems to be pushing the used pucks
in the water bowl when done, but they were black.

The turkey had the skin on, it looked very dark brown when it was done. I used the recipe in the BS recipe book.

When you guys are smoking beef (or anything) do you get that great bbq smoked smell?
I stunk like burnt wood for 2 days, even after the pool and shower. I'm hoping this gets better.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

FLBentRider

It seems to me that you may have applied too much mesquite.

I put two hours of mesquite on a chicken - it was very smoky - but we like it very smoky. My best suggestion would be for next time to use a lighter wood, such as cherry or apple.

You can find a guide to the different wood flavors here - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Did the last puck get off the burner?  How long did you smoke the bird?  Also, did you have the vent on top at least 2/3 open?  If the vent was not open enough then moisture stays in the cabinet with a skin on bird.  This can cause an unpleasant smell, prevent the temp from getting high enough, and if smoke backs into the generator it can gum it up pretty good.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

To much mesquite......impossible!!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Greahound,
Welcome to the forum.  Being from true hickory smoked BBQ country, I know exactly what you are asking.  You won't get the smell as your favorite commercial BBQ restaurant.  Don't sweat it, the flavor will be as good or better.  As for the pucks looking burnt, that's exactly how they are supposed to look.

You will love the Bradley!

KyNola

greahound

Thanks everyone for your replies and your help. What a great forum!

Stickbowcrafter

Welcome. Yes the smell from my Bradley is a little different from my wood/charcoal smoker but it's not a bad smell.

-Brian

FLBentRider

Now that I figured out we are talking about what the bradley smells like and not the food - yes - smells more like a campfire than a BBQ joint - until you take the food out... Then the house smells like a BBQ joint....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!