Dry Ice ??

Started by blufmtnboy, May 25, 2008, 12:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blufmtnboy

Has anyone tried using dry ice for keeping temps down during cold smoking?? I  am wondering if it will last longer and keep temps lower during warmer weather.

Smoking Duck

I believe this question was posed once and if memory serves me correctly, dry ice will not work because it removes the oxygen from the smoker and the bisquettes will not burn under these conditions.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.  (Someone other than LQ, she does enough of that already  :P)

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

I would go with SD on this one. The dry ice will "melt" into CO2, and begin heavier than air, will collect in the bottom of the smoker, displacing the O2 the bisquettes need to combust.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

blufmtnboy

Habanero Smoker

Even if you use the cold smoke setup the CO2 will most likely block the smoke from flowing through the opening.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 25, 2008, 12:33:07 PM
I believe this question was posed once and if memory serves me correctly, dry ice will not work because it removes the oxygen from the smoker and the bisquettes will not burn under these conditions.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.  (Someone other than LQ, she does enough of that already  :P)

SD
It was me that tried this a couple of times awhile back. It didn't work for me. I think it was like these folks stated. It messes with the O2.