smoker set up for cheese

Started by tturaider, May 14, 2008, 05:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

Ok here in Lubbock it is a little too warm to be able to smoke cheese without it melting and its killing me to not be able to smoke any.  So here is what I was thinking.  I was thinking about getting some type of duct which would allow me to remove the smk generator from my tower so that I can only get the smoke without the heat.  I have a few questions tho...what do you do with the hot pucks/metal plate to keep from burning up the duct, will I need some type of fan, those are just a few questions that I have thought of im sure there will be many more.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

thanks
ttu
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Gizmo

Use a cardboard box with a hole cut in the side for the smoke gen to fit into and another hole at the other end on top for the aluminum duct.  Put the bowl with water under the puck burner as it would be in the tower.
There are a few pictures and posts here. 
Here is what I did.  Cheap, easy. 

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

TTU,
What Giz showed is perfect for a cold smoke setup.  It's very cheap, easy and almost foolproof.  If you're really serious about it, check out this link to what Mr. Walleye did.  It's a primo setup and for sure, the nicest one I've seen.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6075.0

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

tturaider

That looks awesome Giz! I might even be able to figure that one out?

tturaider

SD that is one hell of a cold smoking setup.  If i get into the whole cold smoking I may have to go that route.  One question about that setup...can you hot smoke with that unit as well or will it not be able to get hot enuff without the hot plate in the box?

Smoking Duck

You'd have to ask Mr. Walleye for sure, but I'm quite certain he does his hot smokes with the same setup.  One day, I hope to have a set up half as nice as his is.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

tturaider

Maybe he will see this a chime in but if not ill ask him cuz just like you i would love to have a setup like that my self.  I first need to work on making better food before I spend the money on something like that.

westexasmoker

Ok curious...the heat is not a issue for the box??? I'm here with TTu and our outside temps are tough to deal with for cheese....I have a nice thick Dell box, but I'm( ok scared) to put the SG into it .my luck as it is OOpps..Sorry honey, it was just a made a small fire!..  Hey TT you do it first, and if I don't see ya on the news, my turn!!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

tturaider

westex im gona go by home depot and get all of the stuff when i get off from the fire station tomorrow so i will let you all know.  And by the way if I do start a fire I hope I can put it out before it makes the news.  ;D

westexasmoker

In Luuubock, you'll make the news..LOL

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

I have done about a dozen cold smokes in the same box pictured and it is still capable.  The end plate and the puck are all that get hot and the sides of the cardboard are far enough away that heat is not an issue.  
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

TTU

I do use the cold smoke setup for hot smoking as well. I really haven't had problems getting up to temp although it really depends on the load. For an example I did 6 full racks of ribs and it did take a while to get up to temp when I put the ribs in but once it got there it maintained it no problem. It really depends on the size of your load which is kinda that way even with the generator mounted in the tower. It makes sense that it may take slightly longer to get to temp but with it inside of the garage with a constant temp around 65 degrees and never any wind to contend with it works pretty good. Certainly better than outside with our unpredictable weather.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tturaider

mr w that is a awesome setup. I hope to have a setup like that one day myself.  Its good to know that you can still hot smoke in it as well.