newbie questions

Started by mschafer, May 18, 2008, 09:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschafer

Hello all,
Been using the Bradley for a short time now and  new to the board. I have a question about the  heating elements.  In particular, do you have to have both elements on to get the inside temp to 200 or can you shut down the smoker part after 4 hours and let the main heater takeover and hold a 200/210 temp

Cheers Mark

Mr Walleye

Hi mschafer and welcome to the forum.

You can do either. If you are having trouble maintaining temps because of cold weather or wind you can leave the smoke generator on. Lots of people run both all the time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HCT

I run both at the same time, if need be I'll adjust the temp slide.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

mschafer

Thanks for the reply's..
I have both heaters on with the top vent closed and the temp set at 210 with a 5lbs boston butt in for the last 7hrs the cabinet temp is stuck at 155  and the meat temp is 130. It's about 60 outside light wind and the unit is out of the sun. I was just expecting the cabinet temp to be hotter Could there be something wrong or is this normal?

MS

Mr Walleye

MS

You should open your vent some, usually at least a 1/3 of so. By having it closed will gum up your smoke generator. Also by having our vent closed the moisture can't escape and it (the moisture) absorbs the heat making it more difficult to reach your target temp.

Mike

Mr Walleye

MS

Also make sure your tower heater is turning red hot.

ike

mschafer

Thanks Mike,  That just occurred to me before you posted when I did it the temp dropped so I'm waiting to see if it will catch up.  I'm still a little unsure why the cabinet temp is so low? any ideas.

Mark

mschafer

Mike,

Tower heater bar does not look red.

Mark

Arcs_n_Sparks

mschafer,

Do you have the Original or digital? If Original, back the slider off a bit from full on and see if that makes a difference.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Mr Walleye

MS

What does your display show on the right side? (on the smoke generator)

You may want to try and unplug and replug the power wire going from the smoke generator to the tower.

Mike

mschafer

Mike your a genius and I owe you some beers. earlier in the day the dog wondered out and I shooed him inside but he caught a foot on the cord I didn't think anything of it at the time but I just checked the cord and it was loose so it was running on the smoker alone, now the temp went up 60 degrees in 3 minutes.
Next question should I scrap the butt?

Mark

Mr Walleye

No problem Mark.

I don't know about the butt. It's not like it's ground meat or something like that which would be a lot worse. I've had big loads of butts that took a long time to get over the 140 mark. If it was me I'd probably continue on but it's your call, you don't want anybody sick either.

Hopefully some others will chime in here as well.

Mike

mschafer

Mike,
I'll finish out the cooking process and see how it looks.

I'm serious about the beers, do you ever get to Ohio?

Mark

Mr Walleye

Great offer Mark!  ;)

I don't get down that way much, but if I ever do... look out!  :D

I just grabbed a cool one... I pretend it was from you.  ;D

Hey Mark, Thanks for the beer!

Mike

mschafer

Mike,
If it's not a cheap beer It's not my brand, Here's a PBR to ya. Thanks again

Mark