Maverick ET-73 vs ET-7

Started by aces-n-eights, May 19, 2008, 08:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aces-n-eights

I'd like your wisdom on the differences between the Maverick ET-73 and ET-7.  It appears to me both have two probes.  The-73 is designed for one probe in the meat and one in the smoker box.  The -7 is designed to monitor two different meats.  Could the ET-7 be used as a -73 with one probe on the meat and one clipped to a rack to measure the box temp?  Seems the -7 may be a bit more versatile that way...?

Comments please!   ;D
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Mr Walleye

As far as I know a TC is nothing more than 2 different pieces of wire. I would think there is absolutely no reason you couldn't use it that way. Here is a link to some alligator clips I use on the end of my TC to clip onto a rack. I just squeeze the crimp portion of the clip so that it fits the TC tight. That way you can remove them and use it for a meat probe. Works great.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062224&cp=&sr=1&origkw=alligator+clip&kw=alligator+clip&parentPage=search

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tturaider

mr w am I right in asuming that you put the end of the probe into the end where the wire is suppose to go?
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Mr Walleye

Yup... Here's a picture where you can sort of see it. In picture 7 and 9 you can see my TC for my PID and it has one on it. Although I made a different bracket for the PID TC I used to clip it to a rack.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6843.0

Mike

aha638

If you want to measutre box temperature, you want that probe in the air not touching any metal.

Al

Mr Walleye

I have used this set up and not found any difference vs reading in the air. There are some types of TC's that can't touch metal but all mine don't have a problem with it. Someone else can confirm this but I believe that the BBQ Guru also uses the alligator clip for the TC on their controls.

Mike

tturaider

I was also wondering if there would be any differences in the temp beteween the metal and air with using the clips

acords

I'm not sure if this has any relevance or not but here it goes.  I have both ET73 and ET7.  I prefer the ET 7 because the monitor display is bigger and stands up  on a table better.  When ordering replacment probes form maverick, I was told that the probes are not interchangeable with each other. 
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

tturaider

acords I have ordered a replacement probe from maverick and have the 73 model.  the new probe that they sent me did work thou I had to use a piece of tape to keep it in contact.  Maybe they sent me a probe for the 7 model?

Mr Walleye

Holy crap guys! I just went onto the BBQ Guru site to if they use the alligator clips on their TC probes and I got nailed with a virus!

I was there long enough to see that they do in fact use the alligator clips but I would highly recommend you not visit the site for a few days until they get it cleaned up. My virus software picked it up but it took it a good 10 minutes and a re-boot to get rid of it.

Mike

aces-n-eights

Hey, lots of good comments, guys, thanks!  acords, i really appreciate your comment as an owner of both thermometers. 

I'll stay away from the guru site for a while!  Thanks Mike. 

I wonder if you could just insulate the jaws of the alligator clip with some electrical tape or something along that line.  Or insulate the place where you insert the TC...  hmmmmmm...

I may go the ET-7 direction... 
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Mr Walleye

Quote from: aces-n-eights on May 19, 2008, 01:51:55 PM
I wonder if you could just insulate the jaws of the alligator clip with some electrical tape or something along that line.  Or insulate the place where you insert the TC...  hmmmmmm...

Hopefully some of the BBQ Guru owners will chime in. I really have never had a problem using the alligator clip method and I know the BQ Guru products all come with them.

Mike

Habanero Smoker

I have all three :); and your are right the ET-7 has a lot of bells and whistles, and better range then the early models of the ET-73.

As to the use of the Guru models, they do use alligator clips, and there is not insulation between the alligator clip and the TC, but it is hard to determine where the sensor is located in that probe. If you take a look at the ET-73, it uses an uninsulated metal clip to hold the probe, so using an alligator clip should work. Also if you have rack space you can protrude one of the probes through a potato to keep it off the rack.

When I use my ET-7 as a cabinet monitor, I use a binder clip. Just clip it to the metal rack, and the probe easily slides through the lopes of the "handles".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

aha638

I insert my "air" probe through the vent and let it protrude in about 2" and that works just fine. 

Al

Kurt

I have the DigiQ II from the BBQ Guru and the maverick et-73. I have been using both to monitor the cabnet temp and both read the same. I use the clip from the maverick and the alligator clip from the DigiQ II and there is no varience at all in temp.

I also took my Maverick ET-73 apart and sodered an antanna into it. I got the idea from a different thread on this forum and it works great!! I can go anywhere in my house that I want and still pick up the signal from the transmittor which is outside in my shed about 30 ft behind my house. My bedroom is on the opposite side of my house which is a ranch (app. 70 ft.) through several walls, even with my shed doors closed and still picks up the signal.