Jerky guidance

Started by flipperz71, May 19, 2008, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flipperz71

I have an eye roast all sliced and ready for my jerky marinade.  I always used a dehydrator to make it and it always came out great.  I would like to utilize my OBS.  I have the jerky racks.  what type of wood?  and what temp for how long.  I hate screwing up jerky.  The meat is sliced about 1/8" thick. 

Thanks,

flip

Mr Walleye

I use hickory for jerky. I used to make it completely in the Bradley but now I just do the smoke portion in it, then move it to my Cabelas commercial dehydrator. I usually use 1 hour & 20 minutes of smoke. I usually run about 165 to 170 for a temp. Make sure you rotate the racks as the lowest one will dry quicker. Time is a tough one, I always found that after about 3 hours I started to pull the odd piece out but some would take up to 5 or even 7 hours. Once you have done it you will get the hang of it pretty quick.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tturaider

What is the best cut of meat too use?
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Mr Walleye

I always used eye of round but lots of people use any round roast. Years ago I used to use flank steak but it has become too expensive around here. The most important thing is trim any fat fromit first.

Mike

FLBentRider

I use whatever is on sale. top round, bottom round, "london broil", etc..

I defat and section it, put it in the freezer for about 3 hours, slice, season and put in a zip-top bag, refridgerate for at least 24 hours.

I use an hour of smoke, then move to my convection oven to dry. Usually 1.5 hours or so.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

acords

Eye round roast works very well.  At work we use what is called denouded cow round.  I'm not really sure what "denouded" means, but it is round from a cow instead of a steer.  Check with your local butcher shop for something similiar.  You may be able to get it for a better price than a supermarket
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

tturaider

the few times that ive made jerkey I had it cut thin with a meat shaver. how thick do yall cut it?  ???

NePaSmoKer

I use london broil cut 1/4" thick, marinated in my Reveo then into smoke for 40 mins (2 pucks) then into my big C dehydrator.

nepas

tturaider

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 19, 2008, 12:06:49 PM
I use london broil cut 1/4" thick, marinated in my Reveo then into smoke for 40 mins (2 pucks) then into my big C dehydrator.

nepas

next time I may try to cut it like that.

Mr Walleye

I agree with NePas...

I aim for 1/4" thick as well.

Mike

tturaider

Do yall use your own marinade or a package mix?

Tiny Tim

I use meat from the round family, seasonings from Hi Mountain, and smoker only....160 or so for about 3 hours gets my (up to) 2 racks done to my taste.

I hit submit too early...I also usually use Hickory for the smoke, about an hours worth.

Mr Walleye

I use a commercial seasoning that is available here, but similar to Hi Mountain products, as a base and add a few more things to it. I'm a heat kinda guy so I like to add additional black pepper, white pepper and jalapeƱo powder.

Mike

West Coast Sausage Maker

I use Inside or outside round, all the fat cut off and sliced to 1/4 " slices.
You can use almost any seasoning you desire. But make sure you add 3gm of instacure per 1000gm of meat.
(sorry for metric....I'm Canadian eh)

I use the bradley just for the smoke... about 3 pucks.
then put the jerky in a dehydrator or a convection oven (lowest temp setting)
soylent green is people

Gizmo

The folks have pretty much covered my jerky game as well.  Smoke 1 hr 40min to 2 hrs, Hickory is my usual but have done Oak and Special blend.  I use the Hi Mountain Original Seasoning as my favorite.  This is actually a kit as it has cure and seasoning in the package.  Have done Bourbon, Inferno and Teriyaki but like the Orignal the best.  Inferno is second although the pepper heads prefer it.  I have also used the wet do it yourself marinades as well.  I use to slice paper thin for my dad but since he passed away I have been increasing the thickness and am some where around 1/4 inch myself.  I after the smoke time, I use the cheap round dehydrator that has a fan.  It gives me a more uniform drying experience than the smoker.  I use to over dry the jerky as well but now stop a lot sooner than I use to (at least if I get up in time).  I just finished a batch of 13 lbs this weekend and is very tender.  I use to use top round from a specific market here but their price is now $4.29 or more a pound.  I have since been getting eye of round from Costco.  They sell choice meat and the eye is very lean (after trimming off the surface fat.  After I finished with the dehydrating, I spray with potassium sorbate to prevent any possible molding not that it would ever last that long, but just in case a small quantity get temporarily lost .....  :P
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/