Jerky guidance

Started by flipperz71, May 19, 2008, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: tturaider on May 19, 2008, 12:20:36 PM
Do yall use your own marinade or a package mix?

I use my own wet marinade with a couple secret ingredients that i cant share (DEEMED CLASSIFIED) from an old Amish dude.

nepas

Arcs_n_Sparks

If you cough up your Area 51 pass, NePa may reconsider on a need-to-know basis.    :D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on May 19, 2008, 07:07:46 PM
If you cough up your Area 51 pass, NePa may reconsider on a need-to-know basis.    :D

sparkler

remember what went down last time i posted that  :D  :D

the secret items in my marinade are almost like........ ummmm  ap-10 sensative info  ;D

nepas

La Quinta

When I was in FL...I talked to this guy who was/is a "backwoods" kinda guy...but man can he cook...we had a load of fun talkin about food but he recommended teryaki wet brine with london broil...? thoughts?

Gizmo

As with any recipe, a lot of variations are edable, as for favorite, taste is a personal thing.  Teriyaki flavor is OK for me but if I measure the quality of flavor (for my taste) to the quantity I can eat in one sitting, Teriyaki would not win. 

As far as the cut of meat, london broil, it works well and for many years was a standard as long many years ago, it was a very inexpensive cut of meat.  Now that other popular dishes use that cut of meat, it tends to not be as good of a choice based on price.  The only other thing about london broil is the amount of trimming you have to do.  I have done so much jerky over the years that I got real lazy and will pay more per pound for meat in lieu of spending 1 hour or more triming the fat out of 15 lbs of meat.  Eye of Round consistently gives me the least amount, usually just one layer on top, except for Top Round from one store around here which requires no trimming at all.  I did Eye last weekend and paid $2.99 lb.  The top round is about $4.49 a pound and I have never seen that store have a sale.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Thanks Giz...gotta ask a stupid question...what we called London broil in Florida...is that flank steak here?

Gizmo

I would say yes.  Flank is cut from the belly muscles of the cow.  London Broil is actually a cooking process but for many including supermarkets wanting to upsell (read higher priced), they will use the term.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: Gizmo on May 19, 2008, 09:23:50 PM

As far as the cut of meat, london broil, it works well and for many years was a standard as long many years ago, it was a very inexpensive cut of meat.  Now that other popular dishes use that cut of meat, it tends to not be as good of a choice based on price. 

Gizmo Is right about the flank steak / london broil.  I own a Butcher Shop in BC,  and there is only 2 or so Lbs on a thousand pound Beef.
Top round has the best yield of all the cuts.

With the price of grain going up beef will too.
Pretty soon we'll be making jerky out of Soylent Green. ;)
soylent green is people

FLBentRider

Here in South Florida, Flank steak and "london broil" are a different cut. The LB is a much thicker cut and the grain runs top to bottom, like a NY strip, only bigger and tougher. I'll ask next time what the cut is called.

For Jerky though, flank steak here is up to 6.99 a pound - LB can be 2.99 on sale. with a family of six, 2.99 is important when you are doing 10 to 13 lbs every other week.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

flipperz71

Thanks for such a great response...  I usually get eye roast for 2.99/lb, I have never considered using a LB, but since they are ususally buy one get one free and usually run about 6.00 a roast.  I think I will try one next time. 

Here is my game plan, please point out any problems i am missing...

Marinade the meat like I usually do but I will add some pink salt because of the smoker
Smoke for 1 hour at 160 degrees
Put on dehydrator and dry like I normally do...

mouth is watering already..

I will post some pics...

flip

NePaSmoKer

LQ

I have used all sorts of cuts. Briskit, lb, flank, eye round, top/bottom round and loin (kinda expensive)

Do alot of wild game too. Ground hog jerky is pretty good  :o

nepas

La Quinta

Ok so NePa for a "virgin" jerky person...what do you recommend? Which cut...I gotta practice before the "kids" get here...

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on May 20, 2008, 06:13:56 PM
Ok so NePa for a "virgin" jerky person...what do you recommend? Which cut...I gotta practice before the "kids" get here...

I would do a LB, not too much fat to cut out like flank has. Do try to cut as much fat as you can out of it. Slice it 1/4" if possible. Then cut any fat from the slices. After cutting marinate the slices. If you need any marinade help just shout  ;D

Remember 3/5 pucks, Temp around 170/180, no water in the pan and vent all the way open. Watch for over doing it. If it snaps its too done. If its bendable its just about done. Rotate the racks 180* replace from bottom to top or top to bottom.

And if you live in PA you say "yous" LOL

nepas

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 20, 2008, 06:28:45 PM
yous guys!

C

:D  :D  :D ya'll are crakin me up. or if i was on the bayou it would be your craklin me up  ;D

nepas