Jerky guidance

Started by flipperz71, May 19, 2008, 10:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Thanks guys...I'll go with the lb from the local meat market...and pray!! And yeah NePa...any marinades ideas would be great...JimGuy gave me a good one already...but I'm looking for options since I'm a jerky "dumb chit"!!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on May 20, 2008, 06:41:35 PM
Thanks guys...I'll go with the lb from the local meat market...and pray!! And yeah NePa...any marinades ideas would be great...JimGuy gave me a good one already...but I'm looking for options since I'm a jerky "dumb chit"!!

Ok well use jimguys and add a cup of JD to it  ;D and some ground cardamom (opt)

Then yous will say this is some good chit  ;D

nepas

flipperz71

I had to Google Cardamom since I have never heard of it... 

Cardamom is a spice native to the Middle East, North Africa, and Scandinavia. There are three types of cardamom; green cardamom, black cardamom and Madagascar cardamom. It is best to buy cardamom still in the pods, which are removed and discarded. You can also buy cardamom seeds however; they lose much of their flavor. Ground cardamom has even less flavor than the fresher ones. Most recipes usually call for green cardamom. Cardamom has a strong, unique spicy-sweet taste, which is slightly aromatic. Cardamom is more expensive than average spices. A little goes a long way. If a recipe calls for 10 pods that would equal 1 ½ tsp ground. Ground cardamom is readily available and found in grocery stores.

Ethnicity: Scandanavian, East Indian Ingredient

Season: available year-round

How to select: Purchase in the pod or ground.

How to prepare: Grinding the pod yourself will result in a fresher, stronger representation of the spice.

La Quinta

Hey flipper...be careful with cardmom...it can overpower stuff quick (as, too me, can any middle eastern spice). I got some good stuff from Slinky Man too...so Monday or Tuesday...I'm gonna try it...

Hey NePa...that Amish guy...root beer in that marinade??? :)

flipperz71

I don;t plan on using it, just curious about it.  Never heard of it before.

Root beer in jerky...  hmmm   

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on May 22, 2008, 12:28:02 PM
Hey flipper...be careful with cardmom...it can overpower stuff quick (as, too me, can any middle eastern spice). I got some good stuff from Slinky Man too...so Monday or Tuesday...I'm gonna try it...

Hey NePa...that Amish guy...root beer in that marinade??? :)

yeah LQ root beer.............try it

nepas

La Quinta

Giz is giving me the entire tutorial on jerky...I'm very happy!! And we created a new beverage last night!!! I'll let Giz post it...:)

Gizmo

Posted on the Drinks while smoking thread but this may not be a good choice to properly complete the smoke.  LOL
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Hey Giz...what was that H2O spray you put on the jerky after it was done and then re-dehydrated...ish with no heat?

Gizmo

Potassium Sorbate.  It wasn't for re-hydrating, it was for mold prevention.   :)
A light mist is all that is needed.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on May 26, 2008, 05:44:07 PM
Hey Giz...what was that H2O spray you put on the jerky after it was done and then re-dehydrated...ish with no heat?

LQ

Micro bugz................. ;D

nepas

FLBentRider

Does the addition of the Potassium Sorbate eliminate the need for refrigeration ? Like the commercial (ugh) Jerky ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Thanks NePa and Giz...gotta get me some of that stuff for the "kids"!!

Gizmo

I would venture to say that the potassium sorbate in and of itself would not eliminate anything.  It helps retart the growth of mold and help to preserve freshness.  There would be many factors of which how much dehydration actually took place, that would have more berring on eliminating the need for refrigeration.  I have had jerky in a cabinet (or forgotten in my laptop case) for many months without the production of mold and without potassium sorbate.  I didn't eat it, but it wasn't growing.  That jerky would have been very thinly sliced and very dried out. 

I believe NePa may be more knowledgeable with the Potassium Sorbate than I am.  There may be others as well.
I have only recently started using the product (last year) as I changed from thin sliced and over dehydrated, to thicker sliced and a little more moisture in the product which seems to me to be more tender.

La Quinta

No worries Giz...keeping the jerky in the fridge anyway...but the "Kids" are from England...and the belly of the plane is cold...but want them to be able to keep it at ambient temp there when they go home...