Jerky taking a long time - question

Started by weekendsmoker, May 21, 2008, 01:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi there, jsut made some 1/4" jerky and from the bits I've snacked on it's fantastic.  Question I have is, it has been in since 10:00am and it's 4:30 now and it's still really moist and has not dried out.  I have the DBS at 170 degrees and the the vent is wide open with no water in the bowl.  Should I go higher with the temp or is 7 or so hours ok to get dry jerky?

Thanks all,

Jason.

La Quinta

Weekend...Wish I could help...but am very much looking forward to the answer to this...I have never done jerky myself but am getting ready to try with some help from other members on cuts of meat and marinades...I think Stickbow dries his in a convection oven...

Tiny Tim

As long as you used cure and let it sit in the fridge at least overnight, you'll be fine leaving it until it hits the texture you're looking for.  I like mine a little more on the chewy/moist side than the hard/sawdust side, but it's an individual preference.

La Quinta

Hey Tiny...guys asking about you in the chat room last night...all ok?

Tiny Tim

Yep...just peachy.  No Internet service at home again yet, but could be back soon.

Don't need another smoker, do ya? ;D

La Quinta

Thinking about one for my brother...he has a Brinkman bullet smoker...I don't know...he travels a lot...I had to force him to get the Brinkman out when I was there...he's my brother...ya know how that goes...:)

Wildcat

Tiny - I still plan to order from you when I need something that you carry.  May be awhile cuz I picked up a lot of wood from Chez when he gave it up.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Jason

When I do my jerky now I just apply the smoke in the DBS then I put it into my Cabelas commercial dehydrator. When I used to do it completely in the Bradley, when I was doing the rack rotations I would blot off any moisture on the top of the jerky with a paper towel. This seemed to help eliminate the moisture a little quicker. The other thing you will find is once you pull the jerky and let it air dry/cool off, you will find it to be a lot drier than you thought. This was my experience anyway. Once you have made it a couple of times you will get the hang of it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Wildcat on May 21, 2008, 03:06:51 PM
Tiny - I still plan to order from you when I need something that you carry.  May be awhile cuz I picked up a lot of wood from Chez when he gave it up.

That's cool.  Gotta jump at a deal when you can. 

Slowly trying to build my inventory up so I can start pushing my site a little more and still be comfortable that I'll be able to fill orders in a timely manner.

Wildcat

I am really pulling for ya Tiny.  I also plan to eventually order from yard and pool, like those new high temp jerky screens when and if he gets them.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Hey TT

Haint seen ya in awhile, everything ok.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: weekendsmoker on May 21, 2008, 01:37:14 PM
Hi there, jsut made some 1/4" jerky and from the bits I've snacked on it's fantastic.  Question I have is, it has been in since 10:00am and it's 4:30 now and it's still really moist and has not dried out.  I have the DBS at 170 degrees and the the vent is wide open with no water in the bowl.  Should I go higher with the temp or is 7 or so hours ok to get dry jerky?

Thanks all,

Jason.

Jason

Mike and I do just about the same thing as jerky goes. You can do a full BDS jerky but just dont over heat it. When this happens the jerky gets dry and brittle and not very good for chewin. I use only 3/5 pucks of wood then into my Big C dehydrator.

nepas

Tiny Tim

Yep, NePa, all is well...just a minor glitch with the phone and internet services at home.  Will be back as soon as a couple of dominoes fall into place.