Maybe I'm getting to old to know the difference

Started by Oldman, December 05, 2004, 05:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

This is my first time to use Pecan instead of Oak.  When I taste the smoke I cannot tell but a slight difference. Perhaps Oak and Pecan are almost the same in flavor. The Pecan is just ever so slighly lighter in flavor.

Anyone else taste the smoke of these two and if you have is there a major difference?

Chez is it possible that Bradley got some woods mixed up together?

Or perhaps  it is just my age keeping me company....[:(]

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Follow up. 7 hours. I was going to do only 6 hours but with checking that generator I had to open the door up a few times.

First impression is the flavor in the meat is not as strong on the surface as oak (it is a 21 pound ready to cook ham.) I've got it wrapped in plastic (T-shirt is on the ham) and it will be baked next week Sunday (7 days from now which will give it plently of time for the favor to "cure" to the bone.) At first I brought up the box to 200 degrees and then turn off the box, unplugged the heat and only used the generator.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Olds,
When you say you taste the smoke are you putting your face above the vent and actually letting the smoke go into your mouth?

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Olds,
When you say you taste the smoke are you putting your face above the vent and actually letting the smoke go into your mouth?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes in a manner of speaking. I first look at the color of the smoke. I make sure it is light gray. Next I will allow some to enter my mouth then exhale it slowly through my nose. If it taste sweet that way then I will smell the smoke directly and exhale through my mouth.

I learn the techniques I use in the late 1950s to early 60s from my Grandfather.  This technique was used to make sure that a piece of wood you thought was age correctly was in fact just that.

Sauce Bauce

When the wood pucks are pressed together, what type of cohesive agent is used to hold the form or shape.[8)]

Oldman

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yes in a manner of speaking. I first look at the color of the smoke. I make sure it is light gray. Next I will allow some to enter my mouth then exhale it slowly through my nose. If it taste sweet that way then I will smell the smoke directly and exhale through my mouth.

I learn the techniques I use in the late 1950s to early 60s from my Grandfather.  This technique was used to make sure that a piece of wood you thought was age correctly was in fact just that.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's really interesting, Olds.  There's a technique used by whisky distillery masters that has been passed on to afficianados of "Usque Beatha" to properly smell the whisky.  As they raise the glass of whisky to their face to smell it, they make sure their mouth is open since that greatly accentuates the aromas.  Looks like your granddad passed on a variation of this for wood smoke.  

I know you're a real brandy fan--does the "open mouth" technique work for brandy aromas as well?  Of course, the fringe benefit to the method is that you're already ready for tasting it![:D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA