Chicken?

Started by stormdiver, January 07, 2004, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormdiver

I am about to cook a chicken!!
I brined it in a soloution of sugar, salt, brown sugar peeper and water. and let it sit overnight.

I have now dried it for an hour or two and am about to cook it no idea how yet will come to me as i do it. The chicken is about 2.2kg (4.8lb) i am thinking of throwing it in and then bringing the temperture up to about 220°F and then cook for about three hours and maybe an hour at 375°F in the oven.

Any suggestions? Yes i Know i have to buy a thermometer but i will gauge it by looks ie running clear etc
regards
Scott

Stormdiver

Richard Pearce

I've found with chicken that I smoke them for 3 or 4 hours until they are nicely dark brown and fully smoked. The smoker may not get up to 200 but not to worry) Then take them out and insert thermometer (once you've nipped out and bought one!) and then put them in the oven at 325 deg F (or Regulo equivalent; the same oven temp that I use for normal roasting) and make sure that the temp gets to around the 150 - 160 mark. Wiggling legs and juices running clear etc. doesn't work very well as an indicator for me when they have been in the smoker for some time.[:p]
Richard Pearce

stormdiver

Thanks Richard,
   Well took it out at about 3hrs 45mins and it was almost done but took your advice and bungged it in the oven for about 30-60 mins more came out  a treat. Used Maple as i had not tried it before, what biscuit do most of you lot use for Chicken, beef and game? I know what it says in the instructions but prefer to here you guys account
Scott[:D]

Stormdiver

Richard Pearce

I have tended to use Hickory for nearly everything and some Mesquite. Their Chicken in Maple Syrup and salt (sounds awful doesn't it!) is dead simple, no advanced preparation, and I used Maple (Couldn't be ah'd to go out and buy some more Hickory at that moment) on that to very good effect.
I just did some pheasant, a teal and a couple of partridge (Chukkar, not yours) in Hickory but I suspect it was too strong or too long; I'll tray Maple or Apple or Alder next time.[:p]
Recommend you check some of the threads here regarding bricks, thermometers etc.
Take care
Richard
Richard Pearce

stormdiver

Hi Richard,
  I am just waitting on some fowl, as a few people want to try smoked chicken now, will probably use hicory this time. I will brine overnight again as my chicken was beutifully moist, used about a gallon of water and 1/2 cup salt and sugar for the brine and when i had it cold the smoke was all the way through which was quite good considering I forgot to poke the chiken all round to help the brine get in. Though i did lift the skin on the breast and made sur the chicken was fully submerged

Maple was alright but will try hicory or Alder this time round.

Though will have to source some of the oak ones as most of the food I have is done that way. Though to be fare before the bradley all i ever had was smoked fish or sausages and bacon and none of them compare to what i do at home now.

also found a thermometer so will be better prepared this time[:D]

Stormdiver

Fuzzybear

I'm going to do chicken today....

I will use a dry rub (no marinating overnight or in a brine)

and stuff a can of apple juice in the cavity - will strive for 200-220 on the BS for 4 hours with a thermometer in the breast going for 160-165.
Once at that temp, I will pull off and let sit for 20 minutes going for 170 degrees.

I will be using mesquite pucks for 3 hours....

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Fuzzybear

Ok...got it done and it's beautiful!
If anyone can give info as to how to post a pic, I will do so...
4 hours
220 degrees
3 hours mesquite smoke
dry rub
can of apple juice in the cavity
165 degrees in the breast...will wait another 20 minute for it to get to 170 off the smoker...dinner time!

Glendora, CA - USA!

msiler

I believe that you just insert the path to the image into the message between  the letters img in brackets and /img also in brackets.... if this is how it works the will be a picture here

When in doubt smoke it.

Edit... I guess it only works for pic that is on the internet. I could see mine until i deleted it off my computer.

Fuzzybear

Test...here's my chicken
Glendora, CA - USA!

Regforte

There is a test forum on the board. You might want to practice on it to get the hang of things.

Looking forward to the pictures!

Fuzzybear

Yeah, I've got to do that cuz the pics are not showing up...usually forums open up a window and say where do you want to get the picture from...this one doesn't so I'll have to experiment!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Richard Pearce

<font color="navy"><font face="Comic Sans MS">If any of you actually get the hang of posting a picture, I'd love to get the simple answer. It appears that, unless the picture is on the net, you cannot insert it!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="navy">[:(]
Richard Pearce

Bassman

Yes the picture must be on the internet. such as geocities or some place that has a photo album service.Usually a small fee is required.($5.00 a month).Then all you do is insert a link (the URL) to your picture site.So your not actually posting a picture just the link. Thank you Jon for the information.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Cold Smoke

Tried my hand at smoking a chicken this weekend- results were awesome![:D][:D] I used the same basic recipe as Fuzzybear except without the apple juice but I did use apple bisquettes. I let it cool and peeled off the skin- although the skin did look delicious after pulling out of the smoker- nice and crispy. Finger lickin' good- goes great with a pint or two of your favorite golden lager! Or pilsener. Very moist.

Last nite a threw a couple more birds into the smoker this time stuffing a beer can with onions and garlic into their backsides and used a dry rub on the exterior. I pulled them out late last night and the initial results look great- didn't try it hot- will let you know tomorrow how it worked. Do you usually eat it hot or cold?

I have yet to meet a chicken I didn't eat.

And to think that I bought this smoker to make jerky...It's way down on my list of things to treat to smoke.

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba

CS,

It's great either way. I hot-smoked a chicken a few years ago for a New Years Party & it got DISSOVELD in about 15 minutes! Opposite take, had a bunch of leftovers at Indy last year and they got mowwed after the race.

If you do it right, there's nothing better.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?