New Food Saver on the Market

Started by Habanero Smoker, May 23, 2008, 02:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

You are right about the gas prices. Everything will probably balance out. Although once in a blue moon I go to Danbury, I may check it out. Is it Brookfield that has the new Cabela's.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Habs

The new Cabelas is in East Hartford.  I think it's right off 84 near Renschler(sp?) field.  I have been meaning to go up there and check it out but haven't been yet.

Habanero Smoker

Deb,

Thanks. That another trip that would probably be a break even do to the cost of gas.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

I am getting ready to purchase a new vacuum sealer, and will be buying Model # T000-18003. I got a email offering 25% off on all purchases, even items on sale. The offer ends at midnight. I'm not sure if it is for all customer or just through the email link. You will not see your savings until you check out.

While reviewing the features I noticed a marinade mode. Has anyone who has this machine used the marinade mode. If so do you feel it works.

Note: The marinade mode is after you place your food in a container, you switch to marinade mode. The container stays connected to the machine for 10 minutes. During that time it will hold the vacuum for several minutes, release the vacuum to allow the meat to rest, then the process will repeat 2 or 3 times during a ten minute marinade.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

Habs

That's a nice lookin' unit.

Sorry I can't help you with your question. I've often looked at the vacuum canisters and the marinade canister but I've never pulled the trigger on them yet.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 26, 2008, 06:01:50 AM
I am getting ready to purchase a new vacuum sealer, and will be buying Model # T000-18003. I got a email offering 25% off on all purchases, even items on sale. The offer ends at midnight. I'm not sure if it is for all customer or just through the email link. You will not see your savings until you check out.

While reviewing the features I noticed a marinade mode. Has anyone who has this machine used the marinade mode. If so do you feel it works.

Note: The marinade mode is after you place your food in a container, you switch to marinade mode. The container stays connected to the machine for 10 minutes. During that time it will hold the vacuum for several minutes, release the vacuum to allow the meat to rest, then the process will repeat 2 or 3 times during a ten minute marinade.

I too got the 25% off.  I called them and explained that I had reservations about the automatic function.  I was told that the sensor is very sensative and it sometimes took a little patience to operate.  I opted for the T000-03502-001 to replace the 550 model that I currently have.  The only real differences are:  Not fully automatic; hose storage vice retractable; and though it stores upright, must lay flat to operate.  I already have the canisters I need, so I was able to save some money on this one.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

It does seem that the automatic function must have a learning curve, because they cover that in depth it their FQA. The demo makes it clear on how to feed the bag.

I can't wait to test the Marinade Function. I have the Reveo, but this seems it would be very handy for small amounts you want to marinate very quickly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Gizmo

I don't have the revo or the unit you are mentioning but I do something similar on the few occasions that I use the Foodsaver for marinating.  I pull a vacuum, let is set for a few minutes, release, vacuum and then either repeat or just close the valve.  I always thought pulling out the air inside the meat then releasing would help suck the marinade into the meat.  If it works reliably, it sounds like a neat feature.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Gizmo;

Thanks for the information. When I read it, it sounded practical. I also ordered a 6 quart canister for marinating/brining larger cuts of meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

Habs

Keep us posted on how it works and how it works in comparison to the Reveo.

Thanks

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

The  Revo is good for marinades and seasoning the  meats... and  i would say that a Vac  seal unit  would be great  for freezing  food befor and  after  cooking food

Smokin Soon

I have had the upright Foodsaver for about 6 months now and love it. It uses the generic bags just fine, as the originals are pricey. Using the rolls rathere than bags is cheaper. The Yard & Pool boys expect to get them back in stock, but for now I buy from this Ebay seller: http://stores.ebay.com/FOODSAVER-STORE. They work as well as the original bags.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 27, 2008, 06:42:41 AM
Habs

Keep us posted on how it works and how it works in comparison to the Reveo.

Thanks

Mike

Mike;

I sure will let you know how they compare.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

Quote from: Gizmo on October 26, 2008, 02:17:20 PM
I don't have the revo or the unit you are mentioning but I do something similar on the few occasions that I use the Foodsaver for marinating.  I pull a vacuum, let is set for a few minutes, release, vacuum and then either repeat or just close the valve.  I always thought pulling out the air inside the meat then releasing would help suck the marinade into the meat.  If it works reliably, it sounds like a neat feature.

This is similar to what I do as well.  For steaks I normally vacuum, place in fridge for 15 minutes, release and let it rest for 5 minutes, then vacuum and into fridge for 30 minutes, release, then either grill with charcoal and wood or cold smoke, wrap for an overnight stay in the fridge then grill with charcoal.  Works fine for me.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I finally got a chance to check out the Marinade Mode on my machine. I used the marinator canister that came with it. It holds four chicken thighs (up to 2 pounds), and I have used it twice. Because of it's sleek design I leave it on the counter top, and the retractable hose make it very convenient to use.

The first time I used as directed, just ran the marinade mode one time, which is a 10 minute cycle. It was alright but I was not too impressed with the flavor. The second time, using the same marinade recipe, I ran it through the cycle twice. After the first cycle, I turned the chicken over and ran it again. There was a great improvement in flavor.

So if you only have a small amount of meat you want to marinade quickly, this is more convenient, easier to use and clean up then the Reveo. So if you machine has a Marinade Mode, it is well worth the time to use if for small amounts of meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.