New Food Saver on the Market

Started by Habanero Smoker, May 23, 2008, 02:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I just got a notice from FoodSaver. They have a new vacuum sealer that is almost fully automatic, and with more bells and whistles. You just slide the end to the bag you want to seal in a slot, and the machine does the rest. It's also sells at a pretty decent price. I just might upgrade mine, and past my old one on to a relative.

http://www.foodsaver.com/productdetails.aspx?productid=5500

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

That is a nice one indeed, Habs.  The wife and I were out browsing yesterday (waiting for our insurance settlement check to come in so we can replace the items we lost) and we went to Bed, Bath and Beyond.  Not sure why they call it that; when I got to the back of the store, there was nothing beyond it.  But anyways, I digress......I had 2 foodsavers that were lost and I saw that new one and said to the wife: Wife, we need to get that.  She didn't say no, so there's a 50-50 chance I'm gonna pick that one up. 

Do you ever use the canisters for the foodsaver?  If so, what type of applications do you use them for.  The last one I had included the canisters but I never used them.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Wildcat

Thanks Habs.  I may have to get one of these.  My current Vac 550 model still works fine, but is way out of date.  I  have had it for years. 
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Lefty_Smoker

I have a V2860, which I just picked up several months ago.  I'm wondering why this new model, if it is the latest and greatest, why is it so much cheaper than the previous models like the V2860, and even cheaper than the V2840?!?

So now I'm wondering is there something this new model doesn't do, or do as well as the other, more expensive models?

Kane

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 23, 2008, 04:24:24 AM
That is a nice one indeed, Habs.  The wife and I were out browsing yesterday (waiting for our insurance settlement check to come in so we can replace the items we lost) and we went to Bed, Bath and Beyond.  Not sure why they call it that; when I got to the back of the store, there was nothing beyond it.  But anyways, I digress......I had 2 foodsavers that were lost and I saw that new one and said to the wife: Wife, we need to get that.sheidn't say no, so there's a 50-50 chance I'm gonna pick that one up. 

Do you ever use the canisters for the foodsaver?  If so, what type of applications do you use them for.  The last one I had included the canisters but I never used them.

SD

laughs. you sound just like me!

Habanero Smoker

SD

Come to think of it, I never have either, but it is hard to buy one without one type of canister included. I may be able to use part of my sister-in-law's property for a garden. If so I will be growing mostly peppers. I may you the canisters for storing the peppers after they've been dried and smoked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

huhwhatliar

SD

I have over 20 canisters and use them for everything, wet or dry. I have had only one fail and it was not a foodsaver canister. Hope this helps.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

FLBentRider

SD

I use them for marinating and curing small batches of jerky. The kids favorite use is blowing up marshmallows.  :D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

I have several canisters.  I use the large square one for marinading steaks, and a smaller round one for sealing up coffee grounds to keep it fresh longer.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Habs...I ordered one of these...will have it on Monday....will let you know what I think...

Smokin Soon

I ordered one also, dont even have my smoker yet [next tuesday]. I kind of like your guys ideas like sealing stuff like pulled pork for future use. I will report on it's use, but I have never had a vac sealer before and have nothing to compare it with.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 28, 2008, 06:36:26 PM
I kind of like your guys ideas like sealing stuff like pulled pork for future use.

Smokin Soon,

Welcome to the forum. Sealing works great. Out of the freezer and into boiling water and you are in business.

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker

Even if you don't have a smoker the vac sealer is one of the best investments you can make for your kitchen.  I vac seal every piece of meat I buy, unless I'm cooking it that night or the next day.  And you can't beat it for wet ageing your beef cuts!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Kummok

ThanX for the link Habs!! Quite an improvement on original design. Definitely worth the price...especially when compared to the cost of a vac chamber sealer. Still want the chamber sealer for all its advantages, but the $2500 price is still not justified to my wallet...maybe the next "free" guv'ment giveaway check?!?!?  ::)

Habanero Smoker

La Quinta and Smokin Soon;

I would be very interested in your reports. Often when sealing bulky items I wished I have third hand, two the hold the ends of the bag to keep the bag closed, and the third to operate the sealer. The automatic sealer is now the third hand. :)

Kummock;
I could agree more. Maybe the next rebate check, I may be able to actually buy something with it. ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.