4      tablespoons   thyme
   4      tablespoons   garlic powder
   4      tablespoons   black pepper -- freshly ground
   2      tablespoons   cayenne pepper
   2      tablespoons   salt
   2      tablespoons   currypowder
   1      tablespoon    onion powder
   1      tablespoon    MSG or other flavor enhancer

In a small bowl or glass jar with a lid, combine all the ingredients. Stir or shake to mix. Use immediately or store in a cool, dark place for several months.

This rub is pretty strong and so I do not recommend it for thin cuts (like ribs). But it is swell on heavier cuts of meat such as beef round, prime rib, pork shoulders.

With this recipes, you have enough for five shoulders or four hams. Best if you let the meat marinate, loosely covered, in the refrigerator for a good twenty-four to forty-eight hours after being rubbed.

After time in refer, you decide how you will cook.  I use my Guru Procom4, Ramp off, 210° until meat temp 190°.  Depending on meat could be 12-14 hours.  I smoke for 4 hours - you chose the bisquettes...I use Maple, then with smoke generator on too, and changing the water after the first four hours I just let it go until done.  After temp reached, wrapped in saran, foil and a towel, into the cooler for 2-4 hours to rest.  

Shred the pork and here is a pretty good low calorie sauce to mix in with it:  

Dipping Sauce:
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup spicy mustard
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour so that flavors meld. Bring to room temperature before tossing the pork in the sauce.

If you don't care about the cals, use your favorite sauce.

I really like the meat on nice soft rolls, but stuffed in whole wheat pita, much healthier.  

Very important part of this recipe is to have beer on hand to drink while smoking and especially after taking it out of smoker. You need beer to help you wait until time to start shredding.  Brand and carb content optional!

Bill

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

Enzo,

Welcome to the forum.  When it comes to butts, you can rub and inject them and that does help.  But take your time and smoke good, slow, proper temp, AND with good wood smoke.  Then use the FTC as we come to know it around here.  I think that would help as much as anything to make it a braggin butt.

Cook at 220 till a internal temp of 185.

Use 4hrs of Pecan or Maple wood.

FTC~~~After it reaches 185, pull and double wrap it in <u>FOIL</u>, wrap it in a <u>TOWL</u>, then place in a <u>COOLER</u> (picnic type/no ice of course)for two hours.

HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

smokin zo

Thanks guys! I  be trying one on Sunday

Enzo

Bagman

I also will be doing butts this Sun.  Will be my second round with my BS and figure cann't go wrong with butt.  My first attempt had mixed revues, a deer roast and a chicken that were fantastic, and two sides of ribs that were tasty but not as tender as I would like.  Did them at 200f for about 7 hours but not long enough I figure.  The way I see it, if I can do butts on an old wood fired smoker I should be able to do them on this fancy new do-da!

If women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!  RG
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bagman</i>
<br />.....if I can do butts on an old wood fired smoker I should be able to do them on this fancy new do-da!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bag,

Heavens yes, butts are simple.  Just do these simple steps....  

Put on your favorite rub the night before.

Pull your butts out of the fridge and let set out for an hour or so.

Preheat the BS to 250+ for about an hour.

Put you butts in the BS and smoke at a temp of about 220.

Use 4hrs of smoke, my favorite for butts is PECAN[:p].

Keep that stinkin door shut.  Check it at about 4-5hrs into the cook and <u>pull at a internal temp of 185</u>.

Now don't pass this next step up, just consider it a part of the cooking time.  FTC~~~After it reaches 185, pull and double wrap it in FOIL, wrap it in a TOWL, then place in a COOLER (picnic type/no ice of course)for two hours

I know I repeated myself, but truly it's that easy.  Have fun and let us know how things go.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

smokin zo

Well I put my butt in the smoker last night around 11:00pm with 4 hrs of maple pucks and 3 aluminum to follow. Woke up a few times during the night and wanted to check but didn't. 6:30am now and couldn't wait any longer to check temp. I'm only at 135 internal so I guess I got a ways to go, but that's a good thing. I'm figuring around 11:30 - 12:pm for doneness.I'll take Bill & Malard's advice and do the towel & cooler step. Need a recipe for a sweet and slightly tangy BBQ sauce.
Thanks

Enzo

Bagman

Wacker,
   Followed your advice to rub last night, rubbed two butts, pork spare ribs and some country style ribs. Got up at 4am set them out and preheated the BS. Got them on a little after 5am with four hours of hickory.  A chilly windy day in S. Indiana so had trouble getting temp up to 220f, but am there and holding, internal butt temp at 140f after about four and a half hours so seems to be going well.  Only real concern is the difference in thermometer readings, door reads about 180f and maverick reads 219f.  Depending on the maverick but gives me reason for concern.  Wondering if this is common.

b

If women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!  RG
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy! RG<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Too funny.... That is about what my wife says to me: You use to be good-lookin', now you are just convenient!

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Richard Pearce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> "Only real concern is the difference in thermometer readings, door reads about 180f and maverick reads 219f.  Depending on the maverick but gives me reason for concern.  Wondering if this is common."<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"></font id="size4"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">

I always trust the Maverick! I tried two probes in the other day and they both read within 2 degrees but about 15 degrees different from the BS probe! I find on mine that this happens at the higher temperatures only.

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

smokin zo

Well guys, the pulled pork was a hit. 13 hours in The BSS with 4 hours of maple. Took out when temp hit 180 then FTC for 3 hours. The whole thing practically fell apart so there wasn't much pulling to be done. Made a BBQ sauce with balsamic vinigar & honey. Mixed in with pork and left some on the side for dipping.
Other than the kaiser roll that I servred them on, there wasn't ant need for chewing as the pork just melted in your mouth[:p].
Thank heavens for left overs[:D]
And thank you guys for your suggestions.
If anyone is interested in the BBQ sauce recipe, I will post.

Enzo

BigSmoker

smokin zo,
balsamic vinegar?  Never thought about it for Q sauce.  So yes recipe please[:)].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

smokin zo

BALSAMIC BBQ SAUCE

1 teaspoon olive oil
2 clove cloves finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 cups ketchup (  Heinz)
2 teaspoons chipotle tabasco sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add balsamic vinegar and reduce by half. Add ketchup, tabasco, brown sugar, and honey; bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Cover and simmer on low for about 1 hour.

If you want it milder or spicier, adjust tobasco

Enzo

Oldman

<font size="4"><font color="red"><b>nsxbill's and smokin zo recipes have been added</b></font id="red"></font id="size4">

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Enzo and Sam!  You've already seen the wonderful resource the Forum can be, and you've already contributed to it!  Don't be strangers!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA