Habs Canadian Bacon For Dummies (or a refresher course for overachieving smokers

Started by Smoking Duck, May 29, 2008, 01:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Hey all,

I decided I would try to contribute something to this forum other than my usually witty banter, in order to earn my keep here.  ;D

So, I decided to chronicle my first attempt at Habs Canadian Bacon for those who have always wanted to try it but haven't as of yet for whatever reason.  My reason was fear of screwing up a perfectly good Pork Loin.

The bottom line is:  In the words of Nike, Just Do It.  It was so simple that even a simpleton like myself could do it and make some pretty darn good canadian bacon.  The directions that Habs provided on the recipe site are pretty easy and straight-forward, I simply am adding pics and maybe a little advice on what I'd do differently.  Habs directions are in black, my commentary in red.  If I've screwed anything up, it is entirely my fault and not Habs.  Like I said, I'm a simpleton and can screw up boiling water.

So, without further ado, here it is:

Directions:
Trim fat from pork loin.
Pretty straightforward on this one.

Cut into 3 to 4 pound sections.

Weight each section.
Make a note of the weight of each piece before measuring the dry ingredients.

Measure all dry ingredients for each section of meat based on the weight of each section, and thoroughly mix.
Example if you have two sections; one weighting 4 pounds and one weighting 3 pounds, measure all the dry ingredients for the 4 pound piece and place that in one bowl; and measure all the ingredients you will use on the 3 pound piece and put that in a separate bowl.

Rub the entire mixture on to the loin.
Make sure to cover all surfaces, and work the dry cure into any crevices in the meat.
Here's the loins with the rub on them.  There are plenty of creases in these buggers and I can't stress enough to do as Habs says.

Place loins into separate one gallon sealable plastic bags, and remove as much air as possible.
Here's where I think I made the only mistake.  I shouldn't have vacuum sealed these for two reasons in my opinion:  1. It pressed the meat down so they weren't as tall as I would have liked; 2. It was a little more difficult to distribute the liquid inside the bags when I turned the every day.

Cure meat in the refrigerator at 36- 40 F

Due to the thickness of the loin you will need to cure them for 6 days.

Once a day turn meat over.
You do not have to open the bags, if some liquid has formed give the bag a few shakes to redistribute the liquid.

Remove loins from plastic bags and thoroughly rinse off.

Soak loin pieces in about three gallons of cool water for 30 minutes; pat dry.

Refrigerate uncovered overnight, or long enough to allow to dry and to form pellicle on the surface.
You may also see an iridescent sheen on the surface.
It was after this step that I tied them up with butcher's twine about every 2".  I think it gives you better uniformity in the shape of the meat if you start at the center of the loin and work out versus starting at an end and moving down but I really don't think it makes that much difference. Tying it up did bring some heighth back to the loins but not to where I would have liked it.

It was after this point that I threw the loins back into a 2.5 gallon bag and covered them with maple syrup.  I recommend using 100% maple syrup as I can tell a difference between that and say, Aunt Jemima.  But, it's your call.  I left them in the refer soaking up the maple syrup for about 1.5 hours.

Place loins into a 200 F preheated Bradley.

Apply maple smoke for two hours.

Continue to cook until an internal temperature of 150 F is reached.

It is important to take the internal temperature of each piece of loin. **

Remove loins from smoker, and tent foil until loins are cool enough to be handled by hand.

Wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap.

Refrigerate for at least two days.

Cut into 1/8 inch thick slices and serve
(if serving with crackers you may have to quarter each slice.)

Here is the finished product.....might not be much to look at, but man, does it taste good!  I'll even eat it cold with Ice's sauce in a sandwich with some smoked cheddar.  It's awesome cold or hot!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

iceman

Great post ducky;
Thanks for taking the time to share with all the folks here.  :)

Wildcat

Looks good SD/giggles!  Looks like you put the camera a little too close to the adult beverage on one of those photo's.  Caused the focus to be a little off.  I got experience in that department.  ;D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Actually, I was trying to fend off the wife from snatching the bacon off the table.  She has quite the voracious appetite  ;D

You might also catch a glimpse of my autobiography right behind the solid piece of bacon  :'(

Tiny Tim

Good job Gigglin' Duck. 

Got some small pieces curing right now to make smaller diameter slices (cut a chunk of loin into thirds the long way...biggest piece was 10 ounces).  Felt pretty firm after 24 hours of curing, so I'm gonna look at 'em good Saturday and hopefully give the soak and dry, and smoke them on Sunday.

FLBentRider

Nice post there Giggling Duck!

I have done 3 batches of Hab's Canadian bacon thus far. I keep experimenting with different spices in addition to the TenderQuick.

Has anyone tried using fresh Garlic and onions in Hab's recipe instead of the powder ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

That looks excellent Giggling Duck  ;D (but you did'nt use mesquite  ::)  I've done two batches and both turned out excellent.  I've also thought about trying some different ingredients and chicken out at the last minute because this receipe is so awesome and I don't want to screw it up!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

Great post. Easy to follow steps, my only complaint is that it should be in larger type. ;D

The only thing I want to mention is that I now only take my Candian bacon to 142-145°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Thanks guys.

I've always wanted to make it but was afraid to for fear of ruining a perfectly good piece of meat.  Your directions were flawless, Habs.  Just wondering why you now only take it to 142-145F?  Does it affect the meat in a more positive way?  I can't imagine it being better than what it is right now, but you are definitely the expert, so I defer to you.

You know FL, it is interesting you ask the question about fresh garlic and onions.  I was seriously contemplating it but decided for my first go-around that I would follow the directions to the T and then try to step outside my comfort zone after I had a successful run with it. 

I think my next venture will be with making regular bacon.  This forum sure does make it a lot easier to take chances with things you've never done before.

FLBentRider

SD,
You are venturing down the same path that I ( and I beleive KYNola) went down bacon-wise. It is a very tasty path indeed. I did a batch of Canadian (back, eh ?) bacon, then the belly bacon. Somehow I still have some belly bacon in the freezer.

Other than a WWE wrestling match with the skin (which I lost), the belly bacon is as easy as the Back bacon. And you don't have to tie it up. The hardest part was FINDING a pork belly in South Florida. I had to order it from the butcher at my local grocery chain.

Back  :D to the Canadian - I cured a batch with substituting (more) brown sugar for the garlic and onion powder. Came out great!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

SD;

I now only take it to 142 - 145°F, because it seem more moist to me, and the texture is more to my liken. I do my best to take the pieces out at 142°F, and it will continue to rise 2-4 degrees when at rest.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Sausage Maker

nice looking bacon sd  :)

Ive made and sold tons in my small butcher shop (using bradley smokers) .

ths is just a suggestion...........Because I retail this bacon sliced and packaged, I dont lay the bacon on racks I hang them in the smoker so they are not touching anything and they stay perfectly round (without butcher string).

Also the salt and cure removes the chrome from the Bradley smoke racks in time.

In canada we just call it bacon  (back or side)

soylent green is people

Smoking Duck

Thanks TBS.

I think I figured out my problem......I used half pork loin boneless instead of whole.  I was at the supermarket today and saw a whole pork loin boneless and noticed a huge difference.  Add to it that I vac sealed for the cure and it smushed down pretty good.

Momma and the kids like it pretty well.  Even took some to an Amish guy who sells meats at a farmers market down the road and he really liked it.  I'm bribing him for some good amish meats soon!  I'll bring him some cheese I did a little while ago and really get on his good side!  :D

I'm gonna have to get some dowel rods to use in the bradley so I can start hanging sausage, bacon, etc.

Thanks again!

Mr Walleye

Good job Giggling Duck!

We just got back last night from our fishing trip to Northern Manitoba. What a blast... anyway, I had done up about 15 lbs of this and took it up north for the boys (6 of us) for all the breakfast meals. It was a big hit.  ;)

Ya just can't go wrong with bacon!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Thanks Mike.  I'll bet yours was a supreme hit.  Nothing beats bacon, but nothing really beats bacon at fish camp.  Them boys must love having you along with them.  Maybe next year I'll hopefully have a job and I can come up there fishing with you sometime and we can then replace your pic with the walleye and replace it with one of mine  ;D.  I can then be known as Giggling Walleye (although I believe that would more appropriately fit you).

How was the fishing up there anyways?  Got any pics?

SD