Habs Canadian Bacon For Dummies (or a refresher course for overachieving smokers

Started by Smoking Duck, May 29, 2008, 01:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

S.Duck, aka Giggling Duck!  ;D ;D
  I do not know if you should be eating that bacon. I mean after all it is NOT round. You better send all of it to me for proper disposal.  ::)

But really it looks great, I want to do another batch myself but am waiting for a sale on pork loin.

Smokin Soon

I was looking at Costco at pork loin roast and it looked a lot different. It was a 3 pack that looked like 3 loaves of bread. No exterior fat at all. Would this make a good Canadian Bacon?.

Mr Walleye

SD

Fishing was great. Weather was fantastic, no wind and lots of heat. In fact, I'm burnt to a crisp! We were worried the ice wouldn't be out but it was. We didn't get the size we usually do but the numbers were good. The biggest pike was 17 lbs 14 ozs, biggest walleye was 8 lbs 8 ozs and the biggest lake trout was 10 lbs 10 ozs.

We ate like kings and drank like fish!  ;)

Ahhh the life.....

I'll have to see if I can round up a picture or two.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 31, 2008, 07:17:02 PM
I was looking at Costco at pork loin roast and it looked a lot different. It was a 3 pack that looked like 3 loaves of bread. No exterior fat at all. Would this make a good Canadian Bacon?.

I think it would make the best Can Bacon.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on May 31, 2008, 07:17:02 PM

Yes, you can used it. Even with the fat removed, make sure you remove the silver skin; if it is still attached. Pork loin roast is usually the sirloin end of the pork loin; the end that is attached to the ham. I generally buy the whole loin (because it's cheaper) and use both the sirloin and rib ends.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bushman

I`m gonna do it, I just need the ingreadiance for the rub and cure. can someone post them.

Thanks

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Holy Cow Giggles...I'm impressed...nicely done...I need to try this recipe...thanks for the post...:)

Smoking Duck

See, LQ.....that's why I act a little off.....when you do something that really isn't that hard, it impresses the heck out of people  ;D  And on the other hand, if I screw up something very simple, it's as if people expect it so they don't get mad.  There certainly is an upside to being an underachiever  ;D

In all seriousness, I was afraid of messing up a good piece of meat but Habs' directions were so easy to follow I just figured that if I showed that I could do it, anyone could.  In fact, I have a couple more loins in the freezer that I think I'm gonna pull out and make some more back bacon......my first batch is almost gone already.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tiny Tim

Thanks for the reminder....I need to pull my meat out tonight and soak it for a while, then let it dry overnight and smoke it tomorrow evening.

KyNola

Smokin "Giggling like a girl" Duck,
Nice post.  I have done Hab's Canadian bacon twice.  The last time I vac sealed the loins for the cure and I really liked the results.  I cut the cure time down from 6 days to 4 and it turned out fine.  As my friend FL Bentrider said, you used the same recipe, maple syrup cured, as we did on belly bacon.   It is a killer.  So good in fact that today my wife said "don't we need to go buy a pork belly?".  How cool is that?! 

Thanks for posting the "canadian bacon for dummies".  Always helps to have a refresher course.

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Thanks KY.  I'm definitely going to be doing this again only next time I'll use a whole pork loin instead of a half.  That's why it looked smushed to me.  Other than that, I'll probably do everything else the same way.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

See...Giggles uses the same type of cooking terms that I do..."smushed". Ya gotta love that!!! Don't we all know exactly what he means!!! :) :) :)