Habs Canadian Bacon For Dummies (or a refresher course for overachieving smokers

Started by Smoking Duck, May 29, 2008, 01:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I've used maple sugar a couple of times. It does not impart a very strong maple flavor. Using half brown sugar, and half maple sugar worked better.

You can try using Grade B maple syrup, or a dark amber Grade A. I suggest those because they have a stronger, nutty flavor then light amber Grade A's; but B is the best for this purpose. Just make a paste out of the cure and rub it into the loin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Thanks S.D. & Habs.  I didn't see Habs post before I started them so I did one with maple sugar, one with light brown sugar & one with dark brown sugar.  I plan on doing the maple syrup slather before smoking.  Now I just have to wait.

La Quinta

Hey Deb...not meaning to hi-jack this thread (at all)...nice to have another gal on the site!! I don't think I welcomed you properly! We chicks gotta stick together on here!!! :)

But....these are the greatest guys/gals to get advice from...glad you're into smoking!!

deb415611

Smokin Soon

Ok, my timing got really off, I am soaking 2 loins as per Hab's recipe. This is day six and they are soaking in water after rinsing. Plans change and I really cant smoke them until Sunday morning. Should I Vac seal and then let them dry? Would a little Maple syrup rub hurt
if left over Hab's 1.5 hours I think. I don't want to screw up my first attempt at Hab's Bacon. It's Friday night here and I would really like to keep them tasty!

KyNola

This is just my best guess but if you cured them as Habs directed, I wouldn't be all that afraid to put them in the frig to air dry until Sunday morning.  Remember guys, he said it's already Fri. nite where he's at so it's only 36 hours until Sunday morning.  I will absolutely yield to others more wise than me, especially if Habs shows up.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

There is no problem storing them, but I would put them in sealable bags or wrap in plastic. Then unwrap and air dry them over Saturday night.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokin Soon

Finished my Hab's bacon yesterday, but did not have the willpower to wait 2 days. That's some good stuff!

coleman

Once a day turn meat over.
You do not have to open the bags, if some liquid has formed give the bag a few shakes to redistribute the liquid.

Just a quick question on this.  How do you turn the meat over.  Do you just turn the bag over and give it a couple of shakes,..or do you work the meat around in the bag getting it into a different position?  Or does it really matter?  Thanks, pretty new at this and don't want to screw it up.

Dan

Habanero Smoker

Hi Dan;

The easiest way is just to turn the bag over, and then shake the bag a little to redistribute the liquid. Don't worry, this recipe is pretty hard to screw up. I just want to mention that I now only take my Canadian bacon to 145°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.