Monkfish???

Started by westexasmoker, May 23, 2008, 03:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Kummok on May 25, 2008, 07:30:24 PM
Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 25, 2008, 12:43:40 PM
I used to do a Poor Man's Lobster boil with walleye.  Just cut the walleye fillets in one inch cubes (pay close attention to the bones), boil them in water (I always throw in taters, corn on the cob, onions, etc).  When they are finished cooking, dish em up and then dunk them in drawn butter.  ......

Do that same/same with halibut.... surprisingly close to lobster taste when dunked in drawn butter!

Unfortunately for me, Kummok, I am land locked.  Well, I do have the great lakes but I think the halibut have been fished out here for some time  ;D

I've said it before and I believe it bears repeating:  I envy you guys up there in Alaska.  I know everything is not as rosy as some would think (the winters come to mind), but I'd rather be where you are than where I am.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Kummok

You're right Duckman....winters are really hard on us!!  ;) ;) ;D

huhwhatliar

Kummok nice Ptarmigan  :)

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

Carter

Boiled Walleye?  This sounds like sacrilidge to me.  Where's Mr. Walleye to add his two cents?  Do you boil Walleye Mike?  I would have thought boiling Walleye would be comparable to say, boiling ribs.  Go ahead and rip on me SD if I'm out of line here.  I can take it.

As for Monkfish, we tried it once but we felt we didn't cook it properly because I thought it tasted a little watery.  I could never figure out if I got the membrane off or not.  Anyone got any good sites for Monkfish preparation?  I'd like to give it another whirl after reading all these posts.

Carter

Smoking Duck

Now, now Carter.  I didn't say it was my preferred method of cooking walleye, but it was pretty darn good.  You do it just like a fish boil or crawdad boil.  And when you dip that walleye in the drawn butter........Sweet Fancy Molasses!  It's good.

Remember, however, we mock what we do not understand  ;) ;D

I didn't rip on you too bad, huh?  And don't be asking Mike about walleye.....everyone knows he photoshopped that pic of him and the big walleye  ;D

I remain, giggling, like a school girl

SD

Smoking Duck

OK, Kummok, now you're just rubbing it in and that's just plain wrong  ;) ;D ;D ;D

As if there wasn't enough salt in the wound, your state actually pays you to live there and I've got to pay to live in this sinkhole we call Indiana?

It just ain't right!

Carter

Clearly I'm in the wrong here and since I do like anything that involves dipping food in melted butter, I'll just have to add it to a growing list of food "to dos".

I knew I couldn't come out of that unscathed, but I just had to know.  Boiled Walleye.  Whoda thunk it.

I've fished in the Wawa neck of the woods a few times - up near Chapleau Ontario.  Great fishing.  Lots of Black Bear too.  Fairly aggressive bear as well.  We had one track us through a portage a few years ago, and then someone got killed up in that area and we decided that there are other areas in Ontario to fish without taking that risk.  It was actually pretty creepy.  We pulled out of our campsite where we'd been for two days.  The canoes weren't 20 feet from shore when this huge bear walks out of the bush and heads to our campfire pit.  Then it tracked us around the edge of the lake to the portage, and then tracked us right through.  It climbed in someone's boat on the other side.  That was a site to see.  My buddy took pictures, but unfortunately they turned out poorly.

Carter

Smoking Duck

I didn't mean to jump on you, Carter.  It really is pretty good though.  Just take care of making sure you get all the bones out of the fillets.  I usually do the filleting and then have someone else check for bones I might have missed.  Then simply cut em in one inch cubes and you're good to go.

I always went up to Lake Kabinakigami.  It's a pretty big lake and only 3 camps on the lake.  I've literally fished a whole day and never seen another boat many times up there.  They implemented a slot size up there a while back and man did it ever help the lake.  We were catching some decent ones up there and also routinely caught many large northerns up there.  We also use to catch a bunch of whitefish and I'd always bring them home for smoking purposes. 

I've only seen bear a couple of times up there but never any aggressive ones.  Saw many moose while I was up there.  That's beautiful country up there for sure.

La Quinta

WOW...sounds kool...really...only met one bear in my life and that was good for me!!! :) He was a big boy...but I was sitting on the ground and he was standing up...nice fingernails...I remembered them when I screamed and ran away...I think he ran faster in the other direction then I did!!! :)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on May 25, 2008, 12:43:40 PM
I used to do a Poor Man's Lobster boil with walleye.  Just cut the walleye fillets in one inch cubes (pay close attention to the bones), boil them in water (I always throw in taters, corn on the cob, onions, etc).  When they are finished cooking, dish em up and then dunk them in drawn butter.  Used to make it in walleye fish camp when I went up north of Wawa, Ontario. 

I'll tell you what:  I don't like the way the women smell in Canada, but it's hard to be a Poor Man's Lobster Boil in Canada fish camp.

(I made that last statement just for Mike so he knows I'm still a little ticked about making fun of the schoolgirl comment  ;D)

SD

Why I otta......  :D  :D  ;D

We always used Pike for Poor Man's Lobster. Real good!
We save the walleye for the deep fryer or frying pan. It just doesn't get any better!

Still laughing at SD giggling like a school girl though!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes